January 10, 2014

Go To Recipe: Blueberry Friand Slice

I am hardly experimental when it comes to baking something to a party or unexpected guests, especially if there isn't much notice. I don't generally like to offer just something I've bought, so having a few go-to, no-fail recipes (savoury as well as sweet) is a must. I need to trust these recipes will turn out good every time and it's helpful if they are not only easy, but also something I usually have ingredients for. 

This blueberry friand slice is my new go-to recipe. It is just so simple to make, turns out well every time and is even freezable for those days when you simply don't have any time to bake or even go to the store. It reminds me of  the Finnish blueberry tart, but the recipe is quite different (with the addition of almond meal) and these slices are so moist I wouldn't serve them with anything but a light dusting of icing sugar. 

Blueberry Friand Slice
(Recipe adapted from taste.com.au)

195g pure icing sugar
75g plain flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
110g almond meal
1/4 teaspoon pure ground vanilla (or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract)
150g butter, melted and cooled
4 egg whites, whisked
150g blueberries (I used frozen)
icing sugar, to serve

1. Preheat the oven to 180C and grease a 16cm x 26cm slice pan. Line the pan with baking paper allowing some overhang. 

2. In a large bowl, sieve sugar, flour and baking powder. Add almond meal and vanilla. Stir in the butter and the egg whites. 

3. Pour the batter into the prepared tin and sprinkle with blueberries. Bake for 30 minutes, then leave to cool before cutting. Dust with icing sugar to serve.