December 01, 2013

Sour Cream Cake



I don't bake much nowadays... mostly because I don't have a particular craving for sweets and my husband is quite happy to just have some fresh fruit for dessert. Summer is almost here and although I'm planning to bake some Christmas treats (ginger bread cookies are already stashed in the freezer), I will most likely bake even less.

Today's baking was prompted by a past-its-best-before-date cream I had in the fridge. I remembered mum mentioning "sour" cream was perfect for baking particular cakes, so of course I had to find a recipe and give it a go. Really this is just an ordinary sponge cake, but delicious nevertheless. You may know by now that I'm not into fiddly baking; decorations, fondants and all that, so a completely effortless cake like this one is just my type.

Admittedly the name of this cake can be a bit misleading as it is just normal cream you will need, and not sour cream as we know it in the English speaking countries. Also, the flavour is not particularly sour, even with the addition of lemon zest. I enjoyed an afternoon tea with a thick slice of cake and some fresh strawberries. Perfect for warm spring afternoon.


Sour Cream Cake
(Recipe from Kotiruoka book)

2 large eggs (free-range, organic)
170g (raw) caster sugar
zest of one small lemon
300ml heavy cream
230g plain flour
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
icing sugar, to serve

1. Preheat oven to 175C.

2. Beat sugar and eggs until pale and add grated lemon zest.

3. Combine flour and baking powder in a separate bowl and carefully fold this mixture, alternating with the cream, in to sugar and eggs.

4. Pour the mixture into a greased cake tin (mine was about 22cm) and bake for 35-50 minutes, depending on your oven. Dust with icing sugar to serve.



3 comments:

  1. The texture looks lovely, and I like the short list of ingredients and instructions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delicious, yummy !! invite me please :-))
    Kis from Spain

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this looks so moist and delicate. Really want to try it.

    Marie Angelique

    ReplyDelete