December 05, 2013

A Little Bit of Christmas


It's always hard for me to get into real Christmas spirit whilst in the middle of Australian summer. There's no need/point to burn candles and all the decorations just somehow seem really out of place against the sunny skies and lush green vegetation. Even food I grew up eating at Christmas just doesn't quite work here: oven-baked casseroles, filling salads and a hot cup of glogg are all a bit too much when the temperature reaches 30C and beyond.

I'm keeping the decorations to a minimum and sticking to my usual colour scheme of white and wood. I managed to make a himmeli (a traditional Christmas decoration made of natural straw) of some sort and although it's far from perfect, I'm quite pleased I had the patience to actually finish it. Since we won't have a Christmas tree, I've hung some decorations (hand-made and shop-bought) from tall willow branches we have in our living room all year around. The hand-crafted wooden star hanging on our window (it has a light inside) is quite old; I brought it back from Finland when I was there last year.

I think this is pretty much it for the decorations this year. I haven't even started thinking about what foods I might make, but chances are it will just be something that's quick and easy to make.






3 comments:

  1. I am really not feeling the Christmas tree this year and have been thinking about using the Manzanita branches in my living room and hanging some ornaments. Love the white and wood comboination.

    Maria Angelique

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kaunis tuo puinen tähti, mistä se on? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kiitos Anu :-) Voi kuule, tahti on tosi vanha (ainakin parikymmenta vuotta, sanoisin) ja kasityona tehty kotikunnassani.

      Delete