August 31, 2013

Creamy Salmon Soup


One final winter recipe before we flip the calendar page over to September (and spring!) tomorrow. This past winter in Sydney has been exceptionally warm with temperatures reaching up to 25C and beyond. One can hardly call that winter anymore!

I couldn't help myself making one of my all time favourites soups despite the warm weather and I'm secretly hoping we will have at least one or two cooler spring days so I'll have an excuse to make this again before summer is here. 

I love this creamy salmon soup with lots of dill and a side of rye bread or rieska would have been absolutely perfect with this. I'm not sure if carrots are part of the original recipe, but to me they bring added sweetness and colour to this dish and I just must have them there.

With these thoughts I wish you all a happy spring (or autumn, depending where you are) !


Creamy Salmon Soup
(serves 4)

1 litre of water
whole peppercorns
1/2 teaspoon (or to taste) salt
1 onion, finely chopped
3 carrots, peeled and sliced
6-7 potatoes, peeled and cut to chunks
500g salmon, skinned and boned, cubed
300ml cream
whole bunch of dill, finely chopped

1. Add water, peppercorns, salt and onion to a large casserole. Bring to boil and simmer for 5 minutes. 

2. Add carrots and potatoes and simmer for about 10 minutes or until the potatoes are half-cooked.

3. Add salmon and cream and simmer on low heat for a further 10-15 minutes or until the fish has cooked through. Add dill and serve.

5 comments:

  1. Lovely soup, I'm in Sydney too and can't wait for spring to.start!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh this sounds delicious! I made a nice pasta using salmon, cream & leeks the other day.. so I should make it in a soup form :) x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Maria....you have just taken me back to a fabulous eating place in Helsinki ....a Lappi restaurant ...can't recall its name but I reckon I could find it ! I ate there 3 times just to have their salmon potato soup ...it was divine & evokes such wonderful memories as you may guess :) They also had another dish I loved (I don't eat meat , so it wasn't reindeer!)... a deep freshwater lake fish ...again, forgotten the name but so tasty ...thanks for the trip down memory lane ! Happy spring days to you from Kathy in sunny Perth :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad to hear that Kathy!

      Delete
    2. Oh yes!....I even went & looked at my photos ...had a real reminisce... a lovely dreamy time (also called avoidance! ..hehe ) ...aaah, the magnificent berries , the delicious breakfasts , the fabulous market right on the water (in that very historic building), the creative shop windows ....oh , lots of things....must be time to revisit ...one of my dreams is to visit Lapland at Xmas ...sigh...9 years ago , now ...but most is just like yesterday ... t'was a very special trip :)(Kathy )

      Delete