July 21, 2013

Jewelled Couscous Salad

I am no stranger to couscous salads of all sorts. You can find some of my previous versions here, here and here. It's hard to get tired of something that's so quick, easy and versatile, which is largely why I keep going back to this recipe. I like using whole wheat couscous and I often include spices like cumin, coriander and even cinnamon. I use a variety of dried fruits, such as small figs, golden sultanas or as in this case, some dried cranberries. For a bit protein I throw in a can of chickpeas and some nuts (sliced almonds or walnuts are my favourite). You could even add fried tofu and grilled vegetables. Fresh herbs would be perfect also, but I didn't have any at hand at the time of making this dish.The best thing about couscous is that it makes a perfect side dish as well as a main dish, especially if you add all the extras.

Jewelled Couscous Salad
(serves 4)

2 cups (360g) whole wheat couscous
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon coriander
1 teaspoon sweet paprika
2 cups boiled water (500ml)
a handful of dried cranberries
1 tin chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 pomegranate, seeded
lemon juice
extra-virgin olive oil
slivered almonds
(fresh herbs like coriander, parsley, mint)

Add couscous, spices, salt and cranberries in a bowl. Pour in the hot water and cover with cling wrap. Let sit for about 5 minutes, then fluff with a fork and add all other ingredients. Mix well and enjoy.

PS. Due to the constant flow of spam comments, I've unfortunately had to turn them off at least for now. I still appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to email me if you have any questions or comments.