May 13, 2013

Retro Mother's Day Cake


It was another warm and sunny day here on the Northern beaches of Sydney yesterday. We enjoyed a BBQ lunch on our balcony with my husband's parents and I had made this retro cake for dessert. My mum used to make these types of cakes for every birthday (or any other celebration) and I remember how much I loved them back then.

This cake, known simply as "täytekakku" (täyte=filling, kakku=cake), is made of a sponge cake, cut in layers, filled with fruit and topped with whipped cream and fruit (mum would sometimes use lollies for kids' birthday cakes). Like most Finnish desserts, it is not overly sweet and despite the cream topping, it's not heavy at all. 

As you can see, I went all out with 80's style fruit decorations and even added a colourful tray. I am definitely not one to make fiddly fondant decorations, but cutting up fruit and sticking them in cream even I can handle. This cake was as tasty as I remembered from my childhood and a perfect dessert for such a nice day.

Täytekakku

4 large eggs
185g caster sugar
130g plain flour
1 teaspoon baking powder

2-3 big tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
1 tablespoon pineapple juice

1 banana
1 x tin pineapple pieces
1 x tin sliced peaches, cut in small pieces

300ml cream
1 teaspoon caster sugar
1/4 teaspoons ground vanilla or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

fruit of choice for decoration

1. Beat eggs and sugar until light and fluffy. Combine flour and baking powder in a separate bowl and add to egg-sugar mixture through a sieve. Gently stir to combine. Pour the mixture to a greased and floured tin and bake in 175C for 25-30 minutes.

2. Cut the cooled down cake in 3 layers. Moisten the first two layers with apple sauce and pineapple juice mixture OR with plain milk. Top these two layers with mashed banana, pineapple and peach mixture and place the final layer on top.

3. Sweeten the cream with sugar and vanilla and whip until soft, but stiff enough to stay on the cake. Spread the cream all over the cake and decorate with fruit. Store in the fridge before serving. 

13 comments:

  1. Wow, what a lovely looking cake! I looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So much fruit! I definitely approve. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually looked through your recipe index for täytekakku a few weeks back, and I am so glad to see you post it! My mummi makes it with orange juice and berry filling, and I can't wait to try it soon. Kiitos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ihanan näköinen :) näyttää just joltain mun lapsuuden synttärikakulta :D Meillä oli kiivin lisäksi mahd. jotain punaisia marjoja (vadelmia?) koristeena, jos nyt muistan oikein... täytynee selata vanhoja kuvia :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! This is what I call THE CAKE! Yes, this is so typical European. My mum used to make such cakes as well. It was over 30 years ago...Ah, nostalgia.

    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's uncanny how much this Finnish cake reminds me of the ones I had during childhood birthdays in Taiwan! If you google "Chinese birthday cake" you'll see the resemblance right away—always decorated with beautiful fruits (never without kiwi!) and filled with cream and fruit between yellow layers of yellow cake. Thanks for sharing this! I love learning the unexpected consistencies between food cultures.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aah, tää oli niin ihana! Näinkin tän eka kertaa Pinterestin puolella. Mikä herkku :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is truly retro. We still make täytekakku the traditional way for all the birthdays - including Mother's Day. Hope you're well. Have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ihanan raikkaan ja kesäisen näköinen! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Truly retro - and truly beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. RETRO?...RAVISHING is the word!!...This must be made!..What diameter of pan (springform?) would you suggest to make the three tiers of sponge as lovely as yours?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :-) I normally use a springform pan of about 22-23cm.

      Delete