March 07, 2013

Home Maintenance

 

I have been doing a bit of home maintenance lately; organising, de-cluttering and decorating. Here in Sydney I don't really change home interiors according to seasons, except for adding a few cosy blankets here and there for the cooler months, but I do like the idea of starting each season with a kind of inventory.

The wooden chest in our living room was recently brought to Sydney by my parents. It is a traditional "bridal chest", filled with linen and given to the daughter in the family when she gets married. This one was handmade by a Swedish carpenter back in 1991 when I was just 10 years old. I'm so happy to finally have it here in our Sydney-home.

 

I'm sticking to my grey-white-wood colour scheme throughout the year. I have assorted vessels in simple, timeless designs and some wooden beads I absolutely adore. Marimekko print on the living room wall adds a splash of colour.


Our kitchen has generous storage space, but I like to keep some things on display on the bench top, just to add a touch of homeyness. When my parents were visiting us, dad and I finished a few DIY projects, including this cute little ladder for the kitchen and some new shelves for our laundry space.


I'm absolutely smitten by my new wooden clothes horse. I've always had to hide the ugly plastic stands, but no more! I can store this inside during the rainy season and it's almost like a pretty piece of furniture. I love it!


19 comments:

  1. Oh please tell me where you got the wooden clothes horse; I HATE the plastic ones (OK, I'm hearing first world problem here!). We've always had wooden ones but I can't find them here.

    Beautiful home.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The wooden clothes horse is from Heaven in Earth.

      Delete
    2. Thank you for the info. I am on page 1 of this beautiful store's household products and I already have about 5 things I have been looking for!! I may not re-surface from there for some time! :-)
      Margaret

      Delete
  2. I agree, the wooden clothes horse has a warm, homely feel. I love the blue enamel ladle. The scoop is wide enough to pour a one bowl sup portion, hard to find that size anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am spying at you on Instagram, because I simply adore your photos. Since I do not have an iPhone, I cannot comment there. But,now, I can. :) Firstly, your home is absolutely fantastic. It is just what I love. It is my style. Pure, clean, sleek, simple, contemporary...Just the opposite of what I see here in the Eastern part of the USA. :( I guess we Europeans are very similar. We love contemporary lifestyle. Secondly, your hair color is fantastic. You are so beautiful, everything suits your face. Still, I am a proponent of natural hair color, and everything natural. So, when you get bored, go back to your natural and unique hair color.
    Greetings,
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Sandra!

      Actually, I am a brunette so this colour is closer to my natural one :-)

      Delete
  4. you have such a beautiful space. I love the little ladder :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The whole place is beautiful, Maria .. but I can't take my eyes off that LADLE. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Amanda! That ladle is a special find from vintage markets in Nice, France :-)

      Delete
  6. Voi että teillä on kaunista! Aivan upeasti tuo kodikkuutta nuo pienet yksityiskohdat keittiöön. Tekis vaan mieli tutkia tarkemmin mitä ihania puujuttuja ja muita tuolla onkaan. Tosi tosi kaunista! Kateeksi käy tuo puukuivausteline. Meillä on täällä varsinkin ihan kamala ratkaisu, sellainen metallinen hökötin katossa, mutta... on onneksi pois silmistä kodinhoitotilassa, jos jotakin pos. pitää keksiä..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Voi kiitos! :-) Tuo puinen kuivausteline on ollut hakusessa jo tosi pitkaan ja vihdoin loytyi mieleinen! Saa nahda miten se meilla taalla kosteudessa kestaa, toivottavasti hyvin :-)

      Delete
  7. Mitä tuollanen teline maksaa, jos saa udella? Teillä taitaa olla iso terassi tuossa missä se sijaitsi? Mä en kans tiedä miten täällä kestäisi kun on kauhean kosteaa. Yks aika vasta ostettu paikallinen "ikea-lipasto" ei taida kestää sisälläkään tätä kosteutta...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Se maksoi 95 AUD (mitakohan tuo olisi euroissa...ehka 70 euroa?) eli aika tyyris, mutta (toivottavasti) sen arvoinen :-)

      Tuohon kosteuteen ei oikein auta mikaan, meillakin on mennyt muutamia halvempia huonekaluja ihan sen takia pilalle. Yritamme tuulettaa koko ajan ja talvella kun on kuivia paivia niin pidamme kaikki auki, vaatekaappien ovista lahtien. Tassa uudessa asunnossa tilanne ei onneksi ole niin paha kuin edellisessa. Aussiasunnot ei tunnetusti ole mitenkaan parasta laatua ;-)

      Delete
    2. Niin ja tosiaan, parvekkeemme on aika suuri joten mahtuu hyvin tuollainen teline grilling, kalusteiden ja kukkapurkkien lisaksi :-)

      Delete
  8. Hi, thanks for all the lovely photos. I am renovating a house at the moment and love the colour on the living room wall. Where is it from?
    Elisabeth (from Sweden but living in the UK)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elisabeth,

      Thank you! Do you mean the paint colour or the painting hanging on the wall? I'm afraid I don't know what paint colour has been used, but the wall-hanging is a Marimekko fabric (Vattenblank)from Finland.

      Good luck with your renovations!

      Maria

      Delete
  9. What a beautiful home! Can you please tell me what type of plant that is next to your lovely clothes horse?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lauren! It is a Kalamata olive tree with a freedom to grow in all directions possible :-)

      Delete