March 19, 2013

Carrot Pancakes


My pancake addiction is showing no signs of slowing down. Savoury pancakes, sweet pancakes and now these: carrot pancakes. All these variations are actually quite common in Finland and the savoury ones are often served with lingonberry.

Carrot pancakes (or any savoury pancakes, really) make a perfect weekend lunch and these were a nice treat on a quiet Sunday after a long outing in the near-by forest. I had the left-over pancakes next day for breakfast; what a perfect way to start a new week!


Carrot Pancakes
(serves 4)

2 large eggs (free-range, organic)
500ml full cream milk
200g wholemeal flour
pinch of salt
4 carrots, finely grated
1 tablespoon olive oil
butter, for frying
lingonberry, for serving

1. Break the eggs in a bowl and add half the milk, flour and salt. Whisk until smooth, then add the oil, grated carrot and rest of the milk. Leave for half an hour.

2. Fry pancakes one at a time, a couple of minutes on each side. Serve with lingonberry jam.

11 comments:

  1. YUM! these look really delicious, and I love their unexpected ingredient. Pancakes are such great comfort food.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love pancakes :)

    & having enough leftover to have for breakfast is always a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds perfect for a weekend lunch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Near-by forest? Do you mean the bush? Or are you in Finland now? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I call it forest :-) People outside Australia (at least in Finland) would have a completely different idea if I'd say "bush" :-) Ha, I WISH I was in Finland!

      Delete
  5. Those look great. My newest addiction is zucchini pancakes with sour cream and a dollop of caviar!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds great, might give it a try!

      Delete
  6. your pancakes look fabulous! `i had a similar idea a couple of years ago but mine ended up much thicker! love your addition of lingonberry jam, sounds so irresistible!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hei, heitin sinulle haasteen!
    http://vegemisia.blogspot.fi/2013/03/vastaus-haasteeseen.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been absolutely living for carrots lately, so this comes at an opportune time! As always, thanks!
    -Emily K.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my I know, I went through a phase where I only wanted pancakes for breakfast. And I didn't want to have the same thing everyday so I experimented with different flours and additions every morning. I've made carrot pancakes before, but yea obviously not as finely grated as you did here, I quite like the texture of it though. But I will try this out, thanks :)

    ReplyDelete