December 03, 2012

Rye Gingerbread Cookies


Here's the recipe for those rye ginger bread cookies I promised! I love the dark, moody tone that rye flour gives to the dough and of course the dark treacle and the traditional spices add to that. 

Hope you enjoy!




Rye Gingerbread Cookies
(makes 30-50 cookies)
(recipe from Pirkka.fi)

125g (organic unsalted) butter
85g raw sugar
100ml dark treacle syrup
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground bitter orange spice (optional)*
1/2 teaspoon ground clove
1 (organic) egg
about 250g rye flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
rye flour or plain flour for baking

* this is a spice commonly used in Scandinavian baking, but can be difficult to find elsewhere. You can leave it out, if you don't have it.

1. Combine butter, sugar, treacle and spices in a saucepan. Bring to boil then leave to cool. 

2. Add egg. Combine rye flour and soda and add to the mix. Stir until smooth then leave, covered, in the fridge overnight.

3. Work the dough in batches, rolling in to thin discs, then using cookie cutters to cut out shapes. Place the cookies on baking sheets lined with baking paper and bake in 200C for about 8 minutes.

4. Cool on a wire rack, store in airtight containers (or in the freezer to keep them crisp).


20 comments:

  1. Maria, they look and sound really tasty! Have great week! I made gingerbread buns for first Advent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love these traditional cookie. So beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely cookies! They must have a wonderful flavor.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  4. they sound delicious & I love your photos :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. these look like good Christmas presents...I'm looking for something to go with the homemade aprons I'm working on - thanks maria - I always love your recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can molasses be substituted for dark treacle? Or are they sort of the same thing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you can use molasses as well, it should have a very similar sweetness and flavour.

      Delete
  7. Hi María!. I love these biscuits and the pictures are awesome. I´m going to keep the recipe, it sounds yummy!.
    Love from Spain
    Marialuisa

    ReplyDelete
  8. rye and ginger - beautiful combination and such a great xmas idea. Will make them when back in the UK again Right now in south India, with 30 degrees heat all I can think of is making juices ; )

    ReplyDelete
  9. They look soooo good! I almost wish we were around for Xmas this year as Panu always bakes xmas goodies. Not this year though hehe. Hope you're doing all right over in Finland. (ps there is a spelling mistake in the heading) xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Delicious! I've never used rye flour before so I will have to give it a try. I love your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks wonderful and reminds me of my swedish mother-in-law's "Pepparkakör"?...Are they similar?...I want to try to find the orange spice you speak of..The rye and treacle sound so warming at this time of year!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'll definitely be trying these.

    http://suspironews.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gingerbread! And Rye! Yes please. These would be perfect to cozy up with at Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ok so treacle syrup is something I haven't seen yet....veeeery interesting. I will have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great Idea on the rye! Perfect for my mum - she doesnt eat normal wheat flour!

    Thanks for the great recipe and wonderful photos,

    Trisha Xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. These look wonderful! I just found you via a Christmas bread on Pinterest and I plan to stay... you have a lovely, inspirational blog!

    Thank you for sharing,

    ¤´¨)
    ¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
    (¸.·´ (¸.·`¤... Jennifer
    http://jennsrandomscraps.blogspot.ca/
    http://pinterest.com/jennp6/

    ReplyDelete