December 18, 2012

Deck the Halls


I have been playing Finnish Christmas songs, decorating our home, baking Christmas treats and wrapping gifts, but it still doesn't quite feel like Christmas. We are in the midst of summer here in Australia, with plenty of sun and warm weather; so the atmosphere is undoubtedly different to the one in Lapland at this time of the year. Nevertheless I'm trying to make the most of a couple of weeks off and spend time outdoors, with friends and my husband.

Here are some decorations I've been playing with lately. Most of them are handmade by me, but the decorations in the top photo I brought with me from Finland. If you are yet to make your decorations, I hope these can be of some inspiration for you. With only one week left until Christmas, I hope you are feeling relaxed (!) and happy!


Top row: yarn pom pom and felt star garland, bottom row: felt ball garland



The decorations for this sugar lace mobile are made out of 250g icing sugar, 2 egg whites and a teaspoon of water (recipe). I piped the patterns on paper and let them dry before hanging them.


This clay decoration is made out of air-dry clay using three different sized circles. 
I finished off the decoration with white spray paint.

8 comments:

  1. Gorgeous! You can do no wrong with felt and pom poms. Happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, those sugar lace decorations are beautiful. I'm surprised that they are holding up in the Australian heat and humidity. They look fantastically ethereal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE your deco, from this post and the previous post. Especially love the clay! Anyway, it would have been nice to catch you before xmas but time is definitely running out - we leave in 3 days!! CANT WAIT! Will see you when we get back. Wishing you and Michael a wonderful (if warm) Xmas and new years! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your sugar lace mobiles Maria,
    and the clay decoration too!!
    Happy Hot Christmas (-: hard to believe
    with snow here in Milan)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the last clay decoration. I'm going to try making that with royal icing and giving it to my young guests so they can eat it! Thank you for always having such good ideas. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey wow, I love the decorations from Finland! and the pom poms are a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How long do the sugar-paste decs last for, before going off?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once dried properly, they will last a good while! Mine are still going strong after a week despite the hot and humid weather here in Sydney.

      Thanks!

      Maria

      Delete