September 09, 2012

Thirty-One

  
Happy Sunday lovelies!
 
I am celebrating my thirty-first (*gulp*) birthday today, the sun is out and the weather is warm - I'm all smiles! I had a lovely lunch with friends yesterday and today my husband and I went for a little drive to the beautiful Palm Beach and just spent time outside enjoying the gorgeous spring weather. I love weekends like this, be it my birthday or not!
 
I made a simple vegetable quiche with a couple of different salads for the girls' lunch yesterday. I love cooking for other people and it makes me so happy to see my friends enjoying the food. I also much prefer inviting people over and cooking myself than going out to restaurants. Nothing beats home-made food!
 
Hope you are all having a wonderful weekend!
 
xo
 
 
 
Vegetable Quiche
 
//Base//
 
150g soft butter
90g wholemeal flour
90g plain flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2-3 tablespoons cold water
 
//Filling//
 
olive oil
400g mixed mushrooms, thinly sliced
2 zucchinis, thinly sliced
fresh or dried thyme and oregano
pinch of salt
black pepper
130g grated mozzarella
100g feta cheese, sliced
3 eggs
200ml cream
 
1. To make the pastry, combine flour and salt in a bowl. Rub in the soft butter until the texture resembles breadcrumbs. Add cold water and gather into a firm dough. Use your fingers to spread the dough on the base and sides of a pie dish (about 27cm across). Use a fork to prick the base all over and then refrigerate for about 20 minutes.
 
2. Heat olive oil in a pan and add sliced vegetables. Cook for a few minutes and add herbs and seasoning. Leave to cool completely.
 
3. Preheat oven to 200C. Bake the base for 10 minutes, then remove from the oven and add the filling. Spread the vegetables on the bottom of the base, add grated cheese and feta. Whisk eggs and cream in a small bowl and pour evenly on top of the filling. Bake the quiche for 30-40 minutes or until the top is nicely browned and feels firm to touch. Leave to cool for at least 40-60 minutes before cutting.
 
  

  

22 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Maria!
    Your Birthday-weekend sounds lovely: A lunch with friends, and some special time with your husband!
    This quiche is delicious!
    I baked small tartes with Portobello mushrooms, zucchini & cheese yesterday, it was first time when I combined mushroom with cheese, and it worked well :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum:) Happy Birthday! Totally agree with you on the home cooking preference.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday, Maria. Lovely quiche. All the best for your new year ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday! Sounds like a perfect birthday and I also love cooking for friends. Another favorite is having friends cook lovely healthy food for me. ;)
    The quiche sounds and looks delic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday!

    That quiche is splendid and so is your table setting!

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday! Nice to hear that you have had a wonderful day:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's a lovely spring day over here too! Happy birthday!
    P.S. Beautiful quiche!

    ReplyDelete
  8. HAPPY BIRTHDAYYYYY! :)

    The quiche looks amazing! Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday! And a yummy quiche is the perfect start to a good day!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sending a whole bunch of birthday wishes across the pond to you, Maria! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy birthday Maria! The table setting looks fabulous. I hope you had a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy birthday! September birthdays are wonderful, aren't they? ;) and we've had such amazing weather all week! I thought of you all day yesterday and knew you'd be doing something peaceful and outdoors. Happy 31st again, and I'm sure this year will bring even more happiness! x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Palju, palju õnne sünnipäevaks, Maria! I hated 30, got used to matters by 31 and its been upwards and onwards ever since :) ! Lovely quiche ;) !

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy birthday! I too just turned 31. I'm loving my 30s! Your food celebration looks divine. As does your quiet time with your husband - sometimes it's nice to mark an occasion with smaller, heart warming ways. Wish you a wonderful new week!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy Birthday Maria, I love all your photography it makes me to miss Finland a lot. The most difficult part of the childhood is the first 31 years :-) Wishing You many happy returns of the same!

    ReplyDelete
  16. happy birthday! Even though we don't eat eggs now, your quiche looks wonderful and reminds me how much I used to enjoy them! Hope you have a great year.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Näyttää ihanalta!! Onneksi olkoon! Ihanat tarjottavat, hyvä piirakka on ihan mahtava lounas salaatin kanssa :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. happy birthday! i do love you veggie and vegetarian recipes, i'll keep this one for the times when my vegetarian friends will come to have dinner together!

    it was quite a shock for me when I turned 30 last june, but i always feel like i'm still 25! =)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy Birthday, beautiful blog and that poppy photo is one of the most beautiful I have seen on any blog, it is stunning!

    ReplyDelete