September 15, 2012

Apple-Almond Tart with Vanilla Custard


Another week has passed by and I've been so busy I've hardly spent time in the kitchen. A sunny Friday needed something a bit more special so I made a quick apple tart for afternoon tea. I picked up some beautiful flowers in the markets this morning and they really made everything look so pretty.

I am looking forward to catching up with friends and just relaxing this weekend. Next week will be hectic ahead of a big photo shoot so I need to recharge my batteries when I can!

Hope you all have a lovely weekend!



 Apple-Almond Tart
(Recipe adapted from pirkka.fi)

4 eggs
150g raw caster sugar
300g plain flour
2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon pure ground vanilla
100g butter, melted
100ml milk

400g peeled, cored and sliced apples
juice of 1 lime or 1/2 lemon (use to prevent the apples from browning)
100g almond meal
50g butter, melted
2 tablespoons raw vanilla sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Vanilla Custard

1 egg
400ml milk
1/4 teaspoon pure ground vanilla
1 tablespoon raw vanilla sugar
2 teaspoons potato flour (potato starch)

1. Preheat the oven to 180C and grease a round pie dish (27cm). 

2. Beat eggs and sugar in a bowl until pale and fluffy. 

3. Combine flour, baking powder and vanilla in a separate bowl. Add half of the dry ingredients through a sieve, half the butter and half the milk and gently fold to mix. Add rest of the flour, butter and milk and fold again to mix. Spread the mixture evenly into the dish.

4. Top the dough with apple slices. Combine almond meal, butter, sugar and vanilla in a bowl and sprinkle on top of the cake. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until a tester inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean. 

5. To make the custard, lightly whisk the egg and put in a saucepan with all the other ingredients. Turn on the heat, then whisk continuously until custard gets thicker. Don't let it boil. Turn off the heat and leave to cool. Serve slightly warm with the apple tart.

9 comments:

  1. That looks lovely. Are you re-introducing sugar, gluten, eggs, dairy etc into your diet again or was this for other people?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I've been having gluten on and off all along, but still not having dairy or eggs. Sugar I mainly get from fruit only.

      Maria

      Delete
  2. Eipä juuri kauniimpaa kattausta löydy :) ihanan näköinen rakenne ja pinta tuossa piirakassa.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks AMAZING! So decadent, especially that slice sitting in a bed of custard. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks lovely! But HOW and why do you bake all these nice treats without eating them yourself?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because I LOVE baking and I have a husband who loves a sweet treat every now and again! :-)

      Delete
  5. Yum - That looks great - it makes me feel hungry - even though I am eating while I read your blog!

    Which markets do you go to usually? - I find that most of them are more and more full of things other than food!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      I love going to Frenchs Forest Markets on Sundays, they're the best near where I live!

      Delete
  6. That looks so delicious. Love the crumble-topping - and the custard looks amazing. I´m definitely swapping my (ice) cream for my next apple cake! (which very probably might be yours!)

    ReplyDelete