August 23, 2012

Scandi Foodie Turns Three, Queen Muffins


Three years ago today I published my first blog post. It was a poem my mum used to read me in the mornings to wake me up. I started the blog to keep in touch with my parents, to show them the Finnish treats I was baking and the vintage Scandinavian design pieces I had found. Very soon I realised blogging had opened up a whole new world to me; a world of recipes I had never tried before, ingredients I had never even heard of, flavours I had never tasted and people I had never met. I loved sharing pieces of my everyday life to my imaginary audience. I had no idea if anyone apart from my parents ever read my blog, but I kept posting new recipes day after day. 

I've come a long way in three years. I've experienced both sides of the blogosphere, the good and the bad, I've found new friends along the way and I've learned a lot about food, styling and photography. Blogging has also opened up a new career to me as a stylist and a freelance writer and I couldn't be happier and more thankful for it. 

However many changes there have been along the way, this blog has remained first and foremost a personal account. There have been very few commercials and I've never been interested in making money with this blog. I continue to write content that feels comfortable to me and I don't feel a need to publish something only to attract more readers. I am open to feedback, but for the above mentioned reason I don't take criticism very well; it always feels as a personal attack and sometimes I feel that some people tend to forget that there is a real person behind every post.

I thank you for following and I plan to continue blogging for as long as it feels right and doesn't become a chore. I have many more recipes to try and I definitely still have a lot to learn, so I feel no need to stop now. I hope you will continue reading and sharing your thoughts - thank you again.


 Queen Muffins*
(makes 12)

2 apples (Granny Smith)
1 banana
1/4 lemon, juiced
180g wholemeal flour
1 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon pure, ground vanilla
30g raw vanilla sugar
50g raw caster sugar
60ml olive oil
150g fresh or frozen raspberries and blueberries
natural, unrefined icing sugar to serve

* In Finland we call the combination of berries 'kuningatar' (queen), hence the name! :-)

1. Preheat the oven to 175C and line a 12 cup muffin tray with paper cups (or use oil to grease). 

2. Finely grate peeled and cored apples and put in a bowl with chopped banana and lemon juice. Puree with a hand mixer until smooth. Set aside.

3. Combine all dry ingredients in a separate bowl. Add oil into the dry ingredients and stir, then add the fruit puree. Stir briefly to combine and carefully fold the frozen berries in to the batter. 

4. Divide the batter evenly between the cups and bake for 20-25 minutes or until a tester comes out clean. Leave to cool on a wire rack before dusting with icing sugar.

34 comments:

  1. Paljon onnea ihanan blogisi 3-vuotissynttäreiden johdosta!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy blogiversary! These muffins sound like the perfect way to celebrate. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lämpimät onnentoivotukset blogisi 3-vuotispäivän johdosta!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday to your blog! Perfect muffins for the occasion! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Blog Birthday! I can't believe it's been 3 years! I've been reading your blog for almost that long ;)
    These look lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on your third blogging birthday, Maria! I still love reading and think you are super talented. (P.S. Love the yellow!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy bloggiversary, Maria! You are an amazing blogger and cook at that. Your food styling is impeccable!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations!
    And guess it goes both ways - of you're doing what you fell like doing people will always appreciate and love it, otherwise there mign not be a connection :)
    Your blog is really lovely and warm!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I for one, LOVE your blog. and i adore your new banner and the cute little blueberry! So glad we met through blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Blogging Anniversary! I simply love what you do on here. Here's to the next 3 years!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Blog Birthday! It's amazing what big doors and what fun a blog can bring. I love tuning in here and hope to follow your food journey for many years to come. xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Paljon Onnea! I love the light and fresh style of these photos, and the same goes with the shots from your home!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your beautiful blog Maria. I look forward to checking it each week.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for taking the time and making the effort to share your thoughts and recipes. Although readership can sometimes seem anonymous, I think there are a lot of people out there who read your stuff and (like me) enjoy it immensely and also gain inspirations from it for their own blog or just lifestyle in general. Keep doing what you're doing X

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations! So glad you started this lovely blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy birthday to your blog!I don't know if I can ask, but please if you have the recipe of Rahkapulla share with us! I do miss a lt Finnland and rahkapulla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marilia! Unfortunately I haven't been able to find proper quark (rahka) here in Australia to make them! I will continue to look for it and you'll be the first one to know if I do ;-)

      Maria
      x

      Delete
  17. happy blogging birthday :) these muffins look perfect for a queen or just an average gal like myself :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha - thank you! I should've probably explain that in Finland we call the mixture of raspberries and blueberries 'queen', hence the name! ;-)

      Delete
  18. Oh, what a great day to find your blog, now I can wish you a happy 3-years blogging anniversary! :) Your photos and styling are very pretty!

    Greetings from Estonia!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your blog brings me much joy. happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I must follow over 100 food blogs -- yours ranks in the top 3.

    Thanks for all you do to make your blog post so enjoyable and one that tickles my fancy every time it appears!

    Thank you, thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Happy 3rd blogiversary Maria!!! Your blog is one of my favorite blog to subscribe to and enjoy reading. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Paljon onnea, Maria! Olen niin onnellinen, kun olen löytänyt blogisi! Raikas, innostava ja visuaalisesti upea! Kuuntele vain sydäntäsi ja anna blogin muokkautua elämäsi mukana. Lukijoita riittää varmasti!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Happy Birthday Maria. I am a Home Economics teacher and I have used your blog as a resource (always referenced I promise) for teaching kids about yummy whole foods. Thank you for your gorgeous blog I absolutely love it.
    Claire Stanic
    Brisbane, Queensland

    ReplyDelete
  24. So much fruit in your muffins! Love that!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Happy blogoversary! I'm so happy I discovered your blog as we seem to share many loves - Scandinavia, Sydney (I travelled all the way from Europe to get married there), Provence, food, writing ... I hope you'll keep writing this blog for a long time to come as it's a joy to read.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Grattis på blog-födelsedagen Maria! (a few days late :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great recipe! Will be linking back to this in my post tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  28. THANK YOU ALL, SO MUCH!!

    Maria
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  29. Congratulations on 3 years! What pretty muffins :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Mmh yummy, pinned it over to Pinterest to share this wonderful recipe, and running to the store to get some (frozen) berries!

    ReplyDelete