August 31, 2012

Friday Bites: Mushroom Lasagne


Here's a rare treat for you - a pasta recipe! You might remember that I'm really not the biggest fan of pasta and tend to only cook it for my husband who is not as fussy as I am. Although tasty, I must admit that even this dish was mainly demolished by him and not me. Regardless, I wanted to try making a dairy-free (and vegan) lasagne and this turned out surprisingly well.
 
The trick is to use a lot of mushrooms for a hearty result. You could even use more than I did, up to, say 700 grams. Add flavour with capers, olives, sundried tomatoes and (dried or fresh) herbs and use wholemeal lasagne sheets for a nuttier flavour.
 
 
Mushroom Lasagne
(serves 4-6)

olive oil for the pan
1 onion, finely diced
1 clove garlic, grated 
3 small carrots, finely diced
500g mixed mushrooms (button, shiitake, portobello), sliced
2 tins diced tomatoes
2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 tablespoons French capers
olives, sundried tomatoes, optional
salt, pepper, to taste
1 teaspoon paprika
grated nutmeg
fresh or dried herbs (rosemary, thyme, oregano), optional
300-500ml vegetable stock
300g silken firm tofu
pepper to taste
2-3 tablespoons plain flour
100-150ml cold water
wholemeal lasagne sheets


1. Heat oil in a large pan and add onion, garlic and carrots. Cook for a few minutes, then add mushrooms. Cook for a further 3-4 minutes and add rest of the ingredients. Leave to simmer on low heat for about half an hour.


2. Bring vegetable stock to a boil in a medium sized pot. Use a hand blender to blend in the tofu. Season with pepper. Whisk flour with cold water and stir into the stock. Stir until the sauce thickens, then remove from the heat.

3. Preheat oven to 200C and grease a baking dish with olive oil.

4. To assemble the lasagne, spoon some of the tomato sauce on the bottom of the dish. Add a layer of lasagne sheets, then some of the white sauce, tomato sauce and more lasagne sheets. Continue for a few layers. Finish off with a layer of white sauce and tomato sauce. Bake for 40-45 minutes and leave to cool for at least half an hour before serving.


11 comments:

  1. I have been looking for a good vegetarian lasagna recipe, will definitely try this, it looks really tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Surely mighty scrumptious! Mushrooms make a great filling.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where do you buy vegan lasagne sheets from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kirsty,

      Most lasagne sheets are in fact vegan, at least the dried ones tend to only contain durum wheat and no egg.

      Maria

      Delete
    2. OK thanks, I'll definitely check the ingredients list next time - cheers!

      Delete
  4. Looks very hearty indeed! I could totally demolish this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks great :) I love vegetarian lasagnes - I'll have to try this vegan one :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks delicious! I make a similar one but usually add zucchini and eggplant too :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I absolutely love the sound of this - and, yes, I do eat a fair amount of pasta, as long as it is of the 'wholemeal' variety! Love the addition of capers and nutmeg here but would repair to my herb garden for additions of the fresh variety, methinks :) !

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks so good! Can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't wait for the amazing variety of mushrooms to arrive on my local farmers market. It's September now so it won't be long.
    This lasagne makes me hungry!

    ReplyDelete