April 08, 2012

Persimmon and Hazelnut Brownies


I love autumn! It is definitely my favourite time of the year and every week I get so excited to go to the farmers' markets just to see what is new and fresh. This past week persimmons came out to play and I just couldn't resist their sweet fragrance and orange flesh. It so happens that hazelnuts are also at their best so of course I had to combine the two autumn favourites.

Not only are these brownies packed with season's best flavours, they are also vegan, gluten-free and very low in sugar. What could be better than that? I hope you are all enjoying this Easter long weekend and making the most of a few extra days spent with family and friends!

 



 Persimmon and Hazelnut Brownies
(makes 10-12 brownies)

1 large apple, peeled and finely grated (or about 125 ml unsweetened apple sauce)
2 ripe persimmons
1 ripe banana
1 heaped tablespoon rice syrup
1/2 teaspoon pure, ground vanilla beans
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
200g teff flour
25g unsweetened cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
tiny pinch of good quality salt
85g hazelnuts, roughly chopped

1. Preheat oven to 180C and lightly grease a 20cm x 20cm baking dish.

2. In a blender, combine grated apple, peeled persimmons, banana, rice syrup, vanilla and cinnamon and puree until smooth. 

3. Sieve the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a separate bowl.

4. Pour the wet ingredients into dry and fold lightly to mix. Lastly fold in the roughly chopped hazelnuts. 

5. Bake for 20-25 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack before cutting.

20 comments:

  1. These must be the healthiest brownies ever. Adore hazelnuts too. Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG it looks incredible!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love persimmons. Have only just started to experiment with them in the baking department, and I really like the idea of combining them with hazelnuts and chocolates. Lovely photos too, very autumnal!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Maria! Such a great idea! I have wanted to buy teff flour and whole teff for quite sometime now but cannot seem to find it anywhere in sweden..
    Much love!
    Elenore

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nuo näyttävät ja kuulostavat ihanilta! Hyvää Pääsiäistä Maria!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They look beautiful! Persimmon is such a great natural sweetener eh, I just used them to make a loaf last week. So yum!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love hazelnuts and the combination of flavors in this brownie is so interesting. I'll definitely keep this in mind for when persimmons are in season here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Persimmon in brownies...never had thast before...sounds interesting and different!
    Ronelle

    ReplyDelete
  9. Drooling all the way from Sweden!! :)

    Happy Easter to you too. X

    Charlotta

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glorious autumnal photos!

    ReplyDelete
  11. bookmarked for my Autumn! What a glorious combination of Fall's goodies. Living in Oregon, we get tons of hazelnuts, so this is perfection.

    ReplyDelete
  12. what a creative combination of flavors Maria!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Healthy brownies???? YES PLEASE :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. What would you use instead of Persimmon? Not sure I will be able to find those near me.
    Fabulous recipe, thankyou!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  15. My goodness, never heard of this beautiful combination and wish I can try these brownies! You are so creative!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've been off the commenting track for a few weeks now, there is so much to catch up on here, Maria. These are lovely. Will have to bookmark for our N. American fall... :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Did you know my dad grows his own persimmons (amongst other things)? I love picking them straight from the tree. SO sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yum, these look absolutely delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your photos are beautiful! And the recipe sounds great. I have never played with persimmons before, but I am always so attracted to them when I see others making gorgeous dishes with them. And I love the recipe for the brownies. I am still on the lookout for just the right combination of ingredients so I will definitely try this out.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my gosh... This looks sooooo good!!

    ReplyDelete