I love autumn! It is definitely my favourite time of the year and every week I get so excited to go to the farmers' markets just to see what is new and fresh. This past week persimmons came out to play and I just couldn't resist their sweet fragrance and orange flesh. It so happens that hazelnuts are also at their best so of course I had to combine the two autumn favourites.
Not only are these brownies packed with season's best flavours, they are also vegan, gluten-free and very low in sugar. What could be better than that? I hope you are all enjoying this Easter long weekend and making the most of a few extra days spent with family and friends!
Persimmon and Hazelnut Brownies
(makes 10-12 brownies)
1 large apple, peeled and finely grated (or about 125 ml unsweetened apple sauce)
2 ripe persimmons
1 ripe banana
1 heaped tablespoon rice syrup
1/2 teaspoon pure, ground vanilla beans
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
200g teff flour
25g unsweetened cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
tiny pinch of good quality salt
85g hazelnuts, roughly chopped
1. Preheat oven to 180C and lightly grease a 20cm x 20cm baking dish.
2. In a blender, combine grated apple, peeled persimmons, banana, rice syrup, vanilla and cinnamon and puree until smooth.
3. Sieve the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a separate bowl.
4. Pour the wet ingredients into dry and fold lightly to mix. Lastly fold in the roughly chopped hazelnuts.
5. Bake for 20-25 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack before cutting.