April 01, 2012

Moroccan spiced quinoa, buckwheat and eggplant salad


Yesterday was a perfect Saturday - I went for an early morning swim in the near-by ocean pool, had a light breakfast after that and then headed off to hatha yoga for 2 hours. It was a low-energy but strong class and I felt utterly inspired and energised afterwards, which was exactly what I wanted! I was expecting a friend for a long lunch, so I prepared a couple of big salads that would keep us going while we catch up on all things in life.

This salad has its base on quinoa and buckwheat but there is so much more to it than just that - tahini-flavoured eggplant, carrot for colour, spices like cumin, coriander and cinnamon for warmth, dried apricots for sweetness and beautiful pomegranate arils and toasted walnuts to give it a nice finish. This dish is full of flavour and different textures and it certainly gave my friend and I sustenance to keep talking for 6 hours! I love that - a good catch up with a dear friend over good food. What could be better?

Moroccan spiced quinoa, buckwheat and eggplant salad
(serves 4-6)

180g quinoa (I use Tasmanian grown quinoa)
70g raw buckwheat
3 shallot greens
1 large carrot
small handful of dried apricots
1 medium sized eggplant
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon unhulled tahini
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
about 3-4 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon tamari
1 pomegranate
100g raw walnuts (or pistachios)
1/2 lemon, juiced
pinch of salt
freshly ground black pepper

1. Cook quinoa and buckwheat in separate pots. Quinoa should be rinsed well before cooking and cooked until tender and fluffy. I use ratio of 1 part quinoa (in this instance, about 1 cup) to to parts water (about 2 cups). You can rinse the quinoa with cold water after cooking so it won't get all mushy. Cook the buckwheat in plenty of water until just tender. This shouldn't take more than 5 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking process. Place both grains in a large mixing bowl.

2. Finely chop the shallot greens (or green onions) and coarsely grate the carrot. Slice the dried apricots into thin slivers. Add these in to the bowl with the grains.

3. Cut the eggplant into small cubes. Mix tahini, cumin, coriander, cinnamon and tamari with some water in a small bowl. You should have a fairly runny mixture. Heat olive oil in a frying pan and add the eggplant. Cook for a couple of minutes, then add the tahini sauce and cook a further few minutes until the eggplant is soft. Remove from the heat and let cool slightly before folding it in with the grains and the vegetables. 

3. Toast the walnuts on a dry pan for 2-3 minutes. Remove the arils from the pomegranate and add them into the salad as well. Finally season the salad with some lemon juice, salt and pepper. Let the flavours to develop for at least 30 minutes before serving. Sprinkle on the walnuts just before serving so they will stay crunchy.

17 comments:

  1. Looks good but I still have to find where I can buy quinoa from here!! Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a nice long 'catching up' talk! And a beautiful and nourishing salad that I will definitely try out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic salad...all the jewel like colors are beautiful & with all those spices it sounds like it will taste just as good as it looks :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful salad! I've just discovered where to buy Tasmanian quinoa (in Enmore, Alfalfa house) & won't be going back now :) The pomegrantes must give the salad such a nice, fruity crunch! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hannah!

      Yes, Tasmanian quinoa is sold at quite a few places around Sydney - I shop at Taste Organic in Crows Nest and Honest to Goodness in Artarmon (or online).

      Maria
      x

      Delete
  5. oh, what a wonderful idea!
    just what I was looking for. will definitely make it tonight. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this salad, I have a few friends who run marathons, maybe I should copy it and post it in my blog.
    Love from the north of spain
    THANKS FOR SHARING!
    Marialuisa

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do you know how long a salad like this will last in the fridge? :)

    Benedikte

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Benedikte,

      I wouldn't keep it for longer than 2-3 days, but I'm always extra cautious! :-)

      Thanks!

      Maria
      x

      Delete
  8. Ihanalta näyttävä salaatti! Ja ohjeesi sekä kuvasi Golubkan blogissa olivat upeat:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW! 'Morocco', 'quinoa' and 'eggplant' all ring hugely positive bells, so recipe already in queue [quite a few yours!] for trial! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Quinoa with eggplant! I love the combination, looks like a great nourishing recipe Maria :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Another dish I would LOVE! Great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great idea.I will make it for lunch today, thank you Maria!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Finally got around to making this today, and it was great. I served it warm because it's winter, and I used millet instead of quinoa because I already had some prepared. Hard to go wrong with delicious tahini, eggplant, walnuts, and moroccan spices :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I made this yesterday for diner...It was so delicious! Thanks for the recipe xex

    ReplyDelete