March 25, 2012

Toasted Super Muesli


Hello lovelies!

I have had a very positive week and I am so excited to share some happy thoughts with you!

I've finally got back to a good yoga routine and found a class that suits me perfectly. This is really important and I would never feel comfortable doing a yoga class that would not fill this need. When I first started yoga a few years a go, I attended some classes at the gym I used to go to. It was not a good idea - these classes are way too crowded and the instructor has no way of controlling and supervising the whole class. Injuries can be common and I would not recommend these classes to anyone who is not very experienced with the practise. I am now attending a class with no more than 10 people and the practise is mid-energy hatha, which feels just perfect. I don't do yoga so much for the exercise as I do it for the spiritual practise and connectedness with my own body and mind. Yoga is so much more than just positions, you really need to give it your full focus and that's what I find so compelling about it.

On that note, I've also embarked on a 21-day meditation challenge! Please feel free to join me on this and report back on your successes - I would love to hear from you! I am committing to 20 minutes of guided meditation every day and the purpose of this 21-day challenge is to make meditation a daily habit. Hopefully this will help me get centred and find balance even during the busiest of times. Are you in??

Both of these practises, yoga and meditation, are filling in a huge gap in my life. For the longest time I've felt like something is missing - I eat healthy, I exercise daily, I get enough sleep, but still that final piece has been missing. I have found that yoga and meditation are finally connecting all the pieces together and making me feel whole. Is this something you can relate to?


This recipe was born out of a necessity for a high-energy breakfast. Autumn is in the air here in Sydney and the outdoor pool I go to every morning is clearly a few degrees cooler than a few weeks ago. After my morning swim my body is screaming for calories and a big bowl of muesli or oat meal is what keeps me going.

I love this toasted muesli and although the list of ingredients may seem daunting, I urge you to give it a go. If you only want to get small quantities of nuts, grains and seeds, I suggest you find your nearest co-op shop or any shop that sells loose dried goods. Bring your own container and just buy how ever much you may need! Many health food stores also sell small quantities of grains, cereal, nuts and seeds. In Sydney, Honest to Goodness is my favourite place to get everything I need.

I hope you too are feeling positive vibes in your life and keep spreading those feelings!



 Toasted Super Muesli

100g rolled oats*
100g rolled quinoa
50g raw buckwheat
50g raw sunflower seeds
2 tablespoons raw sesame seeds
50g raw almonds
50g raw walnuts
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
50g virgin coconut oil
1 tablespoon rice syrup

goji berries
dried apricots
fresh figs

* for a gluten-free version, use uncontaminated gluten-free oats

1. Preheat oven to 180C. Combine oats, quinoa, buckwheat, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, almond, walnuts and cinnamon in a large bowl. 

2. Place coconut oil and rice syrup in a small saucepan and heat just enough to melt. Pour this mixture into the muesli and mix well to combine. Spread the mixture on a baking sheet and bake for about 20 minutes or until well toasted. Be careful not to let this burn, cover the muesli with a sheet of baking paper, if necessary!

3. Leave the muesli to cool on a wire rack before storing in an air-tight container. Add goji berries and dried apricots in the mix and serve the muesli with some home-made oat yoghurt and fresh fruit. 

19 comments:

  1. This looks so good! I agree that sometimes you just need something a little more filling to get the day started. I love the idea of serving it with figs, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh this looks so healthy and delicious- and I lOVE your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yum. i am going to attempt this for my partner who is busy working on his film and loves granola. fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. While I eat all these thing on their own I do love a good toasted musli and refuse to buy ones from the store due to all the sugar in them - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing, I've been thinking of sugar free granola type recipes (no honey/agave), but wasn't sure what to use! I'll look out for brown rice syrup :) x

    ReplyDelete
  6. che meraviglia, è una ricetta davvero invitante! complimenti! un bacio e buona domenica! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you again, Maria, for beautiful thoughts and pictures! I'd love to join the 21-day meditation challenge! Please, tell more about it...!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Saila!

      You can join me for the challenge by just committing to 20 minutes (or less/more) of meditation of your choice every day! Guided meditation is basically just a form of meditation where I use tapes, cd's, dvd's to help me get into the practise. You can find these online or if you have a smart phone, you can download them onto that as well.

      If you have never done meditation before, just enter the experience with an open mind and a willingness to learn. I think a lot of people think they don't know 'how' to meditate and therefore don't meditate at all, but really it just means taking some time out and getting centred. Following a guided meditation is a good way to start out and get into the habit.

      Please let me know if you have any other questions and do keep me posted!

      Maria

      Delete
  8. Voi nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnam! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I actually started a 30 day meditation challenge with my sister, and being on my 15th day, I can completely agree with you it is invaluable to rounding out your health practice. I find that it has the ability to ground me like nothing else, especially when our world is completely overwhelming at times. I think that it is something most people are missing, just a way to reconnect with yourself and really just calm and slow life down. Good luck on your journey... I have no doubt it will bring you the same peace it has brought me :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love it! My husband and I are actually embarking on a 21-day challenge of our own. I've been having a difficult time getting back into my yoga practice since the holidays and am hoping a "challenge" will get me back on track. I agree--a regular practice makes all the difference! Best to you in yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      That is great to hear! Keep me posted on how you go!

      Maria

      Delete
  11. A few years ago I used to do alot of ashtanga yoga which I absolutely loved. Unfortunately due to moving, a couple of new jobs and then having a baby I just haven't gotten back to it. But some day I know I will. :)
    Your muesli sounds divine and both goji berries and dried apricots are my favorite dried fruits at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great recipe - yum! Just a note: uncominated rolled oats are hard to find - I've never seen them labelled that way. I'd suggest rice flakes instead. And rolled quinoa - quinoa flakes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      If unable to find gluten-free oats, I would recommend rolled millet instead.

      Yes, rolled quinoa is the same as quinoa flakes.

      Maria

      Delete
  13. Although as a typical 'A' type personality I found meditative practices difficult when I began 45-minute sessions after breast cancer some nine years ago, they have long since become a daily joy and I really miss the practice if time limits preclude. I have a large library of guided meditation tapes: the kind used depends on my mood :) ! By the bye, the practice is absolutely invaluable for natural pain relief: better than morphine any day!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eha! I knew you'd be supportive and understanding :-)

      Maria

      Delete
  14. hi maria.
    this recipe sounds really nice.
    do you have any experience with palm sugar? it is really low in sugar too..
    do you think I can use is in this recipe as a substitute (of half) for the rice syrup?
    thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could certainly use palm sugar as well.

      Maria

      Delete