March 20, 2012

An impromptu streusel-topped apple and plum bake


I love having friends over for lunch, dinner, afternoon tea, any time that gives me an excuse to cook and share my love for healthy food. This past weekend we had friends over for lunch. I had prepared an all-vegan meal with two big salads (one with black beans and one with quinoa), served with olives and fresh sourdough bread from the farmers' markets I had visited earlier that morning. I hadn't had time to prepare any dessert, but I had bought some fresh fruit from the markets so I came up with this impromptu idea for a streusel-topped apple and plum bake.

This healthy, low-sugar bake was a perfect treat to have for afternoon tea. It is not too sweet, but the natural sweetness of fruit and coconut are enough to make it feel like a dessert. I thought of calling it a 'crumble', but really this is like a (much) healthier version of the traditional streusel, served on baked fruit.

Streusel-Topped Apple and Plum Bake
(serves 6)

200g rolled oats
50g walnuts
2 tablespoons teff flour
2 heaped tablespoons shredded coconut
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoons stevia
4 tablespoons coconut oil 

3 small apples
3 small plums

1. Preheat oven to 180C and grease a baking dish with coconut oil. 

2. Peel and chop the apples into bite-sized pieces. Chop the plums into similar sized pieces. Mix the fruit and arrange in the oven dish.

3. In a separate bowl, mix together the rolled oats, walnuts, teff flour, coconut, cinnamon and stevia. Add soft coconut oil and rub it into the mixture. Arrange the streusel-topping on the fruit. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until the fruit is completely tender. Serve warm.

8 comments:

  1. That looks and sounds delicious! A wonderful afternoon treat.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmmmm. Exactly the fruit I have left in my fruit drawer that I need to use up! Does the coconut oil work to clump the oats together or is it just to help brown and add flavour?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there!

      Coconut oil does a bit of both! If you want the topping to be more 'clumped' together, you can add a bit more oil.

      Hope this helps!

      Maria
      x

      Delete
  3. Mmmm, looks delicious! I love the oat crumble on top - those are always my favorite desserts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks super tasty! And its good to know that you're supportive of Stevia. I haven't tried it much but now I'll have to give it a shot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds amazing! Do you use liquid/dry stevia?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Maddy!

      Good question! I use dry stevia.

      Thanks!

      Maria
      x

      Delete
  6. There is almost nothing better than a crumble. I have been doing oatmeal cookies along the same concept and have made three batches in a row. I can't seem to get enough!

    ReplyDelete