December 21, 2011

Finnish Christmas with a Twist: Cool rhubarb glögg

It's been a busy end of the year for me and I'm sure I'm not the only one anticipating a little break. It'll be a short one for me, however, but even a few days off are more than welcome. I am hoping to spend some time just sitting outside, on the balcony, with a cool drink in hand, reading a good book. The drink of choice for me would have to be this cool rhubarb glögg - a spiced drink made to remind me of Christmas, but adapted to season's demands. 

I adore rhubarb, I'm sure you've realised that by now, and this drink is for all you die-hard rhubarb lovers out there. It's completely sugar-free, so prepare yourself for some real rhubarb flavour pared with warming spices and a drizzle of lemon juice to freshen it all up. I am more than happy to pour myself a glass of this with lots of ice, lift my feet up and bury my head in a book.

Cool rhubarb glögg
(serves 2)

500g rhubarb, chopped
1 cinnamon stick
2 star anis
5 whole cloves
5 cardamom pods, slightly crushed
knob of fresh ginger, peeled and cut into slices
1/2 lemon, juiced
ice, to serve

1. Place the rhubarb, spices and ginger in a saucepan and add about 1 litre of water. Bring the mixture to boil, then leave to simmer for about 15 minutes. 

2. Drain the juice into a bowl and leave to cool.

3. Drizzle with lemon and serve cool with ice.