November 23, 2011

Kale rolls with quinoa and chickpea stuffing


It may seem that I've suddenly become obsesses with rolled foods (see my previous post), but I can ensure you that two roll recipes in a row is a mere coincidence. The idea behind these kale rolls is similar to my savoy cabbage rolls (recipe here), but this time I've opted for a grain-free filling. Spring onion, preserved lemon (or fresh lemon zest) and chickpeas are my staple flavour combination for quinoa, and I love the idea of rolling it all in steamed kale leaves.

 


Kale rolls with quinoa and chickpea stuffing

300g cooked quinoa*
200g cooked chickpeas**
zest of 2 preserved lemon wedges (see my recipe here), finely chopped
2 green onions, finely chopped
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil

1 bunch of kale, leaves cut off

* rinse the quinoa prior to cooking. For this recipe you will need about 1 cup uncooked quinoa. Cook the quinoa in 1 1/2 cups water for 10 minutes, then turn off the heat and let sit (covered) for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork.

** soak raw chickpeas overnight before draining and cooking in plenty of boiling water until just tender. You can use canned chickpeas (drained and rinsed) too, if you wish.

1. Prepare the filling. Combine the quinoa, chickpeas, preserved lemon and green onions in a bowl. Drizzle the mixture with a tablespoon of extra-virgin olive oil and toss to combine. Set aside.

2. Steam the kale leaves quickly (about 1 minute). Remove from the steamer and cut off the thick stems or thin the stems so they are easier to roll up. 

3. Place some filling on each leaf (the amount depends on the size of the leaf, of course) and fold into a roll. You can overlap the 'half' leaves to make one bigger leaf, if you need to.

20 comments:

  1. I want to make this, it is absolutely delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For some reason kale has a very weird taste to me and I can't get over it. My friend, who's a chef, says it's soooo good for me and I should eat it, but I need to learn to like the taste! I love what you've put in the innards though :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Squeeze some lemon on the outside of the roll. Lemon or lime or a vinaigrette will help with the taste of kale. I'm also a chef and your friend is correct, Kale is PACKED full of vitamins and nutrients. Cheers!

      Delete
  3. The rolls look delicious! Does the kale taste change after steaming?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nadia,

    The steaming may reduce the bitterness (if there is any) of the kale.

    Maria
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yet another wonderful way to use kale... thans for sharing, I love to roll up food too :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how they look all bunched in that pan. I made a few simple rolled up collard rolls recently and couldn't get enough of them! I really like the sound of your version though too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look absolutely brilliant! I myself just posted two recipes this past week...one with kale, one with quinoa! You've inspired me to combine...Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lately I have been cooking more with quinoa so I'm glad to find another great recipe like this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I never thought of making rolls with Kale. Looks delicious and must try for me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never had kale before. Love these though - they're like a healthier/fresher dolmades :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I believe both you and I began with the ever presented cabbage rolls of my childhood and then yours: surely these are the modern, exciting variant on the theme?!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great idea! I'm going to share this on Glamour.com (I'm the health and fitness blogger) next week. I'll give you credit for the photo and send some traffic your way. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Heippa, mitä kalen tilalla voi käyttää? Kiitos!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hei,

    Voit kokeilla lehtikaalin sijaan esimerkiksi kurttukaalia. Vaihtoehtoisesti voit käyttää vaikka ihan salaatinlehtiä (tuoreena, tietenkin).

    Yst. terv.
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  15. Stupid question of the day, what do I do with them after I've rolled them? No need to cook or anything, just eat? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shanna!

      That's right - no need to cook further, just eat and enjoy!

      Maria
      x

      Delete
  16. I love this recipe so much, I shared it on my blog :))
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete