November 04, 2011

Haloumi with vegetable medley

 

Happy Friday friends!

Today I'm sharing a little weekend snack recipe with you. I love the flavours in this dish, and the mellow vegetables pair nicely with the salty halloumi cheese. It's a perfect snack to enjoy when you have a little time to spend in the kitchen, just chopping away. I was very lucky to win a new knife set recently, and testing the new knives made chopping even more enjoyable.



 Haloumi with vegetable medley
(recipe inspired by Earth to Table)
(serves 2-4)

200g haloumi cheese
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon yellow mustard seeds
200g eggplant, cut into small cubes
100g red capsicum/bell pepper, cut into small cubes
10 brown mushrooms, cut into small cubes
1 white onion, finely chopped
10 green olives, cut into small cubes
1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
pinch of dry sweet basil (optional)
freshly ground black pepper
sea salt
fresh parsley
fresh mint

1. Heat the oil in a large pan and add the mustard seeds. Add all vegetables and cook for about 10 minutes or until soften.

2. Add the sherry vinegar and season the mixture. Leave to cool slightly before adding in the fresh herbs before serving.

3. Cut the haloumi into slices and fry on each side until soften. Spoon some medley on top of each slice and serve immediately. You can store the rest of the medley in the fridge and serve with fish, tofu or bread.

17 comments:

  1. A great way of serving halloumi! I love that cheese, but it is not easy to find it here.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pretty! I have never had halloumi but I'm sure I would love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the spring colours and it'd make a perfect canape for entertaining too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are really pretty. I love the taste and the curious texture of halloumi, and I love the idea of serving them as a base for something else.

    ReplyDelete
  5. happy friday to you too...haloumi has me excited whenever i see it on a menu! salty, chewy & delicious. dayle

    ReplyDelete
  6. Halloumi is so delicious and this looks nice! Have a great weekend Maria!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ditto, great idea to use the haloumi as the "container".

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful colors! I've never tried Halloumi (I think) and I'm so curious to have a bite (or more!). Without knowing the taste this remain very unknown mysterious dish, which makes me even want them! Lovely recipe as always Maria!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't always find haloumi here but it is delicious...and more so with all these veggies! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look soooooo tasty! Could do with one right now, please! ;) Have a lovely weekend, Maria! xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. This would make a great little appetizer

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks delicious! I only discovered haloumi while living in London last year, but sadly it's hard to back in the States!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Excellent! Here is one way to serve halloum cheese, which is a daily staple in a near-eastern home, that is not done there! Usually halloum is just fried in butter, end of story. Love this presentation!

    ReplyDelete
  14. "I was very lucky to win a new knife set recently.." <--- what kind of knives? Do you love them? I am always on the market for tried and true recommendations!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mmhh! Oh yes, I'll put this combo together! of all the different types of haloumi available at my s'markets, I prefer the plain organic - this v simple dish looks so moreish!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congrats on your knife win :) I love anythign with haloumi - these as such a winner for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy Friday, congrats on winning knives , always a great thing you can never have too many of. Thanks for the veggie recipe

    ReplyDelete