November 01, 2011

Grain-free, sugar-free zucchini mini-cakes with mint yoghurt


Week 5 of my sugar-free challenge is now well under way. I have certainly broken the habit of looking for that 'something sweet' after meals and found a heap of alternative ways to enjoy baked treats. Not even the fresh new-season mangoes can lure me in at this point! My trustworthy kitchen garden is also providing some special treats - lots of different kinds of mint are flourishing and they can certainly give that extra sweetness and freshness to salads, as well as a bowl of plain yoghurt sprinkled with cinnamon.  

 


These zucchini cakes have taken a bit of experimenting, but I think I've finally nailed the recipe. The secret of baking grain-free (I think) is that you need to bake them a little longer than you'd think. They stay moist, and these little cakes are certainly that without being mushy. I couldn't help myself but add a couple of tablespoons of chia seeds in the mix, too. They certainly can't hurt, right? Experiment with warm spices too, if you like. Ginger, clove and nutmeg would all go really well in these cakes.


Grain-free, sugar-free zucchini mini-cakes with mint yoghurt
(Recipe inspired by Lee at Supercharged Foods via Sarah Wilson)
(makes 4 small cakes)

100g almond meal
100g chopped walnuts
2 tablespoons chia seeds
2 tablespoons raw cacao nibs (unsweetened)
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
pinch of sea salt
2 large eggs (organic, free-range)
1 tablespoons brown rice syrup*
2 tablespoons virgin coconut oil
3 tablespoons milk/coconut milk
200g grated zucchini

fresh mint, to serve
plain yoghurt (no added sugar), to serve

* brown rice syrup is available at health food stores. Rice syrup is a low glucose alternative to other sweeteners, like raw honey. You can leave this out altogether, if you prefer.

1. Preheat oven to 170C and grease a 4-cup cake tin (each about 200ml). Alternatively you can use one small (18cm) cake tin.

2. Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl. 

3. In a separate bowl, lightly beat the eggs and whisk in the brown rice syrup, coconut oil and milk. 

4. Fold the egg mixture into the dry ingredients. Squeeze out excess water of the zucchini and fold that in as well. 

5. Scoop the mixture into the prepared cake tin and bake for 30-45 minutes or until the cakes feel firm to touch. Leave to cool on a wire rack before serving. You can freeze these, but they are best eaten within 2 days. Serve the cakes with plain yoghurt mixed with finely chopped fresh mint.


25 comments:

  1. Such a healthy treat! I couldn't possibly do what you're doing though - just can't give up fruit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait, I thought you were going to stop blogging so much :P hehehe well I'm not complaining :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. They must taste wonderful! I'd love to have one for breakfast.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooooh, I saw some cacao nibs in the store the other day and was thinking of recipes I could use them in (before I bought them), these little muffins will do the trick, thanks Maria!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Noooooooo! No mangoes?!! I couldn't go past that sentence, even for a lovely zucchini and almond-flour cake :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have learned recently that zucchini is low in saturated fat and very low in sodium content too, making this recipe a heart-healthy recipe. The fact that this is also sugar free makes it great to be served to guests who are watching their weight. Thanks for this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These mini zucchini muffins look like the real deal! Tasty, apart & well flavoured too!

    Lovely muffins;)!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a neat combo- minted yogurt and muffins! I might even try to spice the muffins up with flavors like fennel seed and coriander...

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are so creative! I would could never come up with something as wonderful as these mini cakes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good stuff! You're getting great results with this challenge, congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, these look so fantatic Maria. I can't believe they are grain free and sugar free.

    A question, where would you get brown rice syrup?

    ReplyDelete
  12. As my groceries just recently arrived with a big bag of zucchini included, feel like closing the computer and starting baking - these look so moreish, so, if not today, certainly tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I thought going sugar-free would be difficult but your recipes are wonderful !

    ReplyDelete
  14. You have me inspired. I'm going sugar free as my new years resolution. These zucchini cakes are a perfect start.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh I miss this light. Over in Scandinavia it's all VERY dark now. Longing for spring..

    These look great. Love mint :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. They look really delicious with the mint yoghurt on top. A healthy treat is just what i´m in the mood for.

    ReplyDelete
  17. i wondered what could possibly be supplying all that body in these cakes, and i never would've guessed at the ingredients. tasty creation, maria!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I was only just fiddling with a recipe similar to this the other day. You are so right about needing to bake them for longer than you think. I learnt the same thing.. These look yummo!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Maria, these little cakes look so good! And so good to see you're still going strong with great sugar-free recipes like this. I'd love one of these for my breakfast tomorrow please!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yes, I agree with Rosa Id like one for breakfast

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh wow, these look delicious! I may have to have a crack at the recipe myself...

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wonderful combination...perfect little savory treat.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hello! Has anyone tried these without the brown rice syrup? I have a condition called Candida which requires absolutely no sweetener whatsoever during treatment. I am wondering how these will taste if I omit the syrup.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hello Palmina,

    I can promise you that one tablespoon will not make a difference in taste so you can definitely leave it out! :-)

    Good luck!

    Maria

    ReplyDelete