October 27, 2011

Tempeh with beluga lentils

 

I am on a deadline today. Had you been a fly on my ceiling, observing my day, you would've thought I was truly busy with very small tasks - like polishing the kitchen sink, folding and refolding laundry, carefully examining my growing tomatoes and herbs, and browsing ideas for my next sewing project. All important tasks, of course, but what about the deadline? Yes. Admittedly I was procrastinating to a point where it seemed impossible to procrastinate any further. Oh wait. It was time to break for lunch.

I had beluga lentils. Those shiny black little pearls that look like caviar. I had tempeh too, my number one choice of protein these days. And combined with spices like pink peppercorns, mustard seeds and sumac, these two simple ingredients made the most enjoyable meal that almost made me forgot I had a deadline to meet. Perhaps one more thing before I head back to meet my deadline. Share this recipe with you. And maybe clean up in the kitchen.
 
  

Tempeh with beluga lentils
(serves 2)

1 cup (230g) beluga lentils
 2 cups (500ml) water
1 packet (300g) tempeh, sliced
1 tablespoon virgin coconut oil
1 tablespoon yellow mustard seeds
1 teaspoon pink peppercorns
1/2 teaspoon ground sumac
pinch of sea salt
1/4 lemon, juiced
fresh coriander, to serve, optional

1. Rinse the lentils and put in a saucepan. Pour in the water and bring to boil. Let simmer for 20-30 minutes or until just tender. Stir with a spoon every now and then. 

2. Heat the coconut oil in a frying pan and add the mustard seeds. Once they start popping, add the sliced tempeh. Season with peppercorns, sumac and a bit of salt and cook on both sides for 2-3 minutes. 

3. Drizzle the lemon juice in the lentils and serve with fried tempeh. Add chopped fresh coriander, if wished.
 
 


16 comments:

  1. I'm going to have to try tempeh one day. I saw some at an organic shop near us.. so I promise I will pick some up. Now, get back to work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Sounds like how most of my days go. How is there always something to do other than what you need to focus on?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have half a package of tempeh waiting to be used in my fridge so this will be perfect! I haven't used musard seeds in ages so it will be a nice and refreshing touch to my food palette. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. A great dish! That combination is wonderfully healthy and tasty.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks great, Maria. I love beluga lentils - there is a great recipe for making 'burgers' out of them too - I think it was on 101 cookbooks. The coriander sounds fab in this too

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tell me about it "procrastinate" is my middle name....

    Anyway another great dish!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah! How you make me laugh! ;) I really hope you made your deadline, though.. Those pink peppers remind me that it´s time to harvest them here in Andalusia<3 Love to you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never tried Beluga lentils! This recipe looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always find beluga lentils to be so pretty! Loving this tempeh dish. I reignited my love for it last night and now I'm looking for new recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Grat to hear it's not only me.. :)

    The recipe looks and sounds delicious. Pink peppercorns are so tasty.

    Thank you for the inspiration.

    xx Charlotta

    ReplyDelete
  11. Another way to use my favourite tempeh! Haven't combined them with lentils before: surely shall! Thanks :) !

    ReplyDelete
  12. what a wonderful combination of healthy and flavorful ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Maria, these look stunning! Love lentils in this dish! I hope your days slow down :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great blog and pics:)
    www.thebrunetteworld.com
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beluga lentils are fantastic, they are my favourite, didnt know we could still get them in Sydney

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just posted this to my site on tempeh - it's Tempeh Girls on facebook and the blog is www.tempehgirls.com.
    Love your blog and this looks delish!

    ReplyDelete