October 16, 2011

Sugar-free rhubarb macaroon slice


As I am entering week three in my sugar-free trial (read more about it here and here) , I realise that I am starting to forget that there even are foods I'm not eating any more. In the beginning of the diet, what felt like something was missing ("if no fruit, then what can I eat??"), is now something I'm not even thinking about. Some say it takes 21 days to break a habit, which in my case would mean another week, so I definitely feel like I'm on a good path here!

What has changed? Well not much after the first week to be honest, and I still feel less bloated, I feel calmer, I feel like I have more patience (although my fiancé could still argue I need to work on this) and I feel like I have more energy. I am really curious to see what the next few sugar-free weeks will bring with them!

In the meanwhile, this little treat is something that kind of grew on me. In the past (and this is obviously a while a go), I wasn't a big fan of coconut at all. I always thought it was way too sweet, which, I now realise, was probably because of all the added sugar in the coconutty foods I had tried. Once you've been off sugar for a while, and your taste buds have readjusted, you'll realise that coconut - in its natural form - is actually sweet enough on its own. 

Sugar-free rhubarb macaroon slice*

Base

100g quinoa flakes

50g coconut flakes (no sugar added)
50g rolled oats**
1 tablespoon raw pure cacao nibs (total sugars 3.6g/100g)
80g virgin coconut oil
2 large egg whites (free-range,organic)

Filling

200g rhubarb, cut into 1 cm slices
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon pure, ground vanilla

Top

3 large egg whites (free-range, organic)
50g fine desiccated coconut (no sugar added)

*If you're not on a sugar-free diet, don't expect this treat to taste very sweet. Those who are used to less sugar, will probably find it just satisfying enough, it all its natural sweetness.

**You could make this totally gluten-free by using uncontaminated oats, or simply replacing the 50 grams of oats with more quinoa flakes.

1. Preheat oven to 180C and line a 25cm x 15cm baking tray with baking paper.

2. For the filling, place the rhubarb, ground cinnamon and vanilla, along with a dash of water (a couple of tablespoons) into a small saucepan. Bring the mixture to boil, then let simmer while you make the base and the filling. Stir the mixture every now and then and just let it cook until quite thick. Set aside to cool.

3. For the base, place the quinoa flakes, coconut flakes, oats and cacao nibs into a food processor. Grind the ingredients into a fine-ish mixture, then add the coconut oil and grind until the mixture comes together. Beat in the egg whites. Spoon the dough in the baking dish and, using your hands, spread on the baking sheet into a 1-2 cm thick base.

4. For the topping, beat the egg whites in a clean bowl until thick. Carefully fold in the coconut. 

5. Spread the rhubarb filling on the base into a thin layer. Spread the coconut 'meringue' on top.

6. Bake for 25-30 minutes, then let cool completely before cutting. This is best eaten within 2 days. The top doesn't freeze very well, so I recommend eating it while fresh.



27 comments:

  1. I would be interested to try these. I am sure they have a natural sweetness that is just delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks delicious, and I love coconut in everything!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks like quite the healthy treat! And you're making me a little curious about going sugar-free for just a little while to see what it's like.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great! A wonderful sugar-free treat.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm on day 13 of sugar free, myself! I'm also doing a liver cleanse with it, taking herbs and probiotics. Will definitely have to try this sometime this week. Love to hear you're experiencing some of the same things :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are doing so well on the sugar free :) I like that I will be able to try it just a little bit with some of these delicious sounding sugar free treats. Coconut & rhubarb, now that is wonderful combination.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks so healty and yum! Pictures are beautiful and I want to bite one piece in the picture now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ihanan näköistä! Makenhimosta pääsee aika hyvin eroon kun makean määrää vähentää:nykyään pidän vain miedosti makeutetuista jutuista.Jäikö tuo raparperitäyte kovin happameksi kun et käyttänyt siihen mitään makeutusta?

    ReplyDelete
  9. this sounds really good! I'm still adapting to the no-sugar thing - I've tried a few recipes from your past posts and i still find the food (especially the muffins I've tried) a lot getting used to - they still taste a tad bland to me. this is especially since I'm used to white sugar and white sugar =S unhealthy I know but I'm weaning myself off :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks girls!

    Yaelian: Kun keitin raparperia tarpeeksi kauan (melkein kuin hilloksi), se ei ollut hapanta mielestäni ollenkaan. Vanilja tuo hyvan lisän jos sitä haluaa käyttää makeutukseen.

    Janine: Thank you for your feedback! I have found the muffins and this macaroon slice just perfectly satisfying when being on the sugar-free trial. They are certainly not very sweet, but that's exactly what I've enjoyed. Good luck with your trial!

    Maria
    x

    ReplyDelete
  11. You know, I wouldnt have thought it possible but it is , sugar free rhubarb slice!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh this looks perfect! My current apple sweetened cake-y treats are getting a bit old lately, I think this slice is exactly what I need!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks goooooooooooooooood. Panu hassles me to make things with less sugar (he would love your no sugar diet lol) so I should definitely book mark this one!

    ReplyDelete
  14. what a delicious and adaptable treat! the crust may very well be my favorite part--i can't resist coconut--but the layer of rhubarb filling is extremely tempting as well!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks fabulous! I'm always looking for more ways to use quinoa flakes, too, so will definitely try this treat. (Love the addition of cocoa nibs - I'm hooked on them.)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just curious - I want to cook these, but I'm struggling to find the raw cacao nibs. I've tried Thomas Dux and a couple of other wholefood stores..

    Does anyone know where I can get them from - preferably around Surry Hills..

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey Matthew,

    You could try Organic Produce on 487 Crown Street. They have a pretty limited supply of groceries, but you might be lucky. Any health food store in the area should stock these as well. Otherwise you can simply leave them out, it won't make a huge difference, but does give a nice addition to the slice.

    Hope this helps!

    Cheers,

    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  18. Curious if there is any particular reason why you use egg whites in the base? Generally I find I can just use a whole egg and it will be fine.

    I can use up 3 egg yolkes, but not 5!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Rachel,

    No particular reason why I've used just egg whites. If you find that a whole egg works, you might as well use that if you prefer.

    Thank you for the feedback!

    Maria
    x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Maria, love your site :-)

    I made this today but I think I must have gone wrong somewhere as the base was totally inedible?! I didn't have cacao nibs so I used some cacao powder I had but it was really dry and had no taste. Eeek...

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Kate,

    Thank you for your feedback! I'm sorry to hear the recipe didn't work for you. It should definitely not be dry, maybe you kept it in the oven for too long (all ovens are different)? Cacao powder might make the mixture more dry and slightly bitter. If you don't have cacao nibs, you can leave them out altogether.

    Thanks again and kind regards,

    Maria
    x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Maria, just wondering, where do you buy coconut flakes from? I've looked in health food stores, Thomas Dux but I can't find them. Any tips?

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi there and thank you for your comment,

    Honest to Goodness has wonderful organic coconut flakes that are sulphur free.

    http://www.goodness.com.au

    Hope this helps!

    Maria
    x

    ReplyDelete
  24. I tried the recipe tonight, but ran out of eggs, and 3 egg whites weren't enough to cover my base. I think my eggs weren't large enough. Haven't tried it yet, but it smells yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  25. i have just finished my chickpea patties (which were beautiful!) and found this! i am new here and love it already! where were you hiding all this time??? so nice of you to be bothered to do what you are doing. carry on and thank you :)

    ReplyDelete