October 06, 2011

Sugar-free coconut granola

Hi friends!

Thank you all for the feedback regarding my little sugar-free trial diet. My first week of strictly no sugar (including fruit, honey, agave, coconut sugar, etc.) is going really well and although I feel more conscious about what I eat, I don't feel like I'm missing or craving anything. I suppose the change hasn't been too radical for me, as the only change I've had to make on a daily basis is to give up fruit. Instead, I've now been embracing the spring greens, including rhubarb, spinach, celery, asparagus and avocados, and enjoyed spiced herbal teas with a healthy dash of full-cream organic milk. What is there to miss when I can have all this??

For some people, going sugar-free might feel like an overwhelming thought. Taste is a funny thing, however, and we can greatly affect it by getting those taste buds used to new flavours and a new diet. Once you get used to having no sugar in your diet, you'll realise that some things you used to eat actually taste very sweet - even fruit! The excuse of "having a sweet tooth" is merely a consequence of you feeding that "tooth" with sugar and the more you feed it, the more it'll crave it. Cutting all sugar out for at least a couple of months will adjust those taste buds and chances are you'll never go back to eating as much sugar again.

This delicious coconut granola is another new favourite of mine. Natural coconut flakes combined with almonds, walnuts, chia seeds, and spiced with ground cinnamon and roasted wattleseed - it's a combination that requires zero added sweetness. A good quality coconut oil is a must. I like this brand and have been using it for my skin as well.

I hope I've been able to inspire at least some of you to join me on my sugar-free experiment! I'd love to hear from you!

Coconut granola
(recipe inspired by Sarah Wilson)

100g natural coconut flakes
100g walnuts
30g almonds
30g chia seeds
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground, roasted wattleseed (optional if you can't find it)
30g coconut oil

1. Preheat oven to 120C and line a baking tray with baking paper. 

2. Combine all ingredients in a bowl and spread the mixture evenly on to the baking sheet. 

3. Bake for 10 minutes, then turn everything around with a spatula. Continue to bake for a further 10 minutes or until just golden. Cool on a wire rack immediately and store in an air-tight jar in the fridge for 3-5 days. Serve with a healthy dash of full-cream organic milk, home-made brown rice milk, nut milk or coconut milk.

Buy Sarah's Book "I Quit Sugar" : Here