October 14, 2011

Spinach omelette roll with quinoa, chickpea and feta filling


Hi friends, hope you've had a nice week so far?

I couldn't wait to share this recipe with you, and I truly hope that you will enjoy it as much as I do! Oven baked omelette rolls are quite popular in Finland, but breaking the tradition I have used a quinoa filling with chickpeas, fresh mint and feta cheese. This is such a protein and nutrient rich dish and, apologies for saying it myself, so darn tasty I could've finished the whole roll myself if my stomach would've allowed me. Please don't let the few steps in the recipe scare you from making this, the process is simple and well worth it. 

Have a lovely weekend!


Spinach omelette roll with quinoa, chickpea and feta filling
(The omelette roll recipe is adapted from Kotiruoka book)

600ml milk (I prefer low-fat organic)
110g + 1 tablespoon wholegrain spelt flour
150g defrosted spinach, chopped*
1 teaspoon baking powder
pinch of sea salt
freshly ground black pepper or ground white pepper
3 large eggs (I prefer free-range, organic)

Filling

1 cup (180g) quinoa, rinsed
1 1/2 cups water
1 x 400g can chickpeas, drained and rinsed**
150g feta (I used one with 13% fat), chopped into small cubes
a small handful of fresh mint, finely chopped
freshly ground black pepper
squeeze of fresh lemon juice

* I used English spinach I had blanched and frozen. You could use shop-bought frozen spinach or quickly blanch fresh spinach.

** Of course you could use raw chickpeas, soaked and boiled until tender, as well.

1. Preheat oven to 180C and line a 35cm x 29 cm baking tray with baking paper. 

2. Put the milk and the flour in a heavy-based saucepan and bring the mixture to boil, stirring constantly. Let simmer for a couple of minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat and let cool slightly.

3. Add the spinach and baking powder mixed with one tablespoon of flour into the milk mixture. Stir well to combine.

4. Whisk in the eggs one by one. Season the mixture with a pinch of sea salt and freshly ground black pepper or ground white pepper (to taste). 

5. Pour the batter on to the baking tray and bake for 25-30 minutes or until firm to touch and browned underneath. 

6. Turn the omelette onto another (clean) sheet of baking paper, remove the baking paper you used to bake the omelette on, and leave the roll to cool slightly.

7. While the omelette is baking, prepare the filling. Place the rinsed quinoa, along with 1 1/2 cups of water in a saucepan and bring to boil. Let simmer for 10 minutes, then turn off the heat, cover the pan and let it sit for a further 5 minutes.

8. Add chickpeas, feta and mint into the quinoa and season the filling with pepper and freshly squeezed lemon juice. 

9. Spread the filling onto the omelette and using the baking paper, roll the omelette into a quite snug roll. Leave to cool down completely before cutting. You can also chill the roll in the fridge for 15-20 minutes, this makes the cutting easier.

33 comments:

  1. A very interesting recipe! Wonderful.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  2. This both sounds and looks so tastey! All of the ingredients are favorites of mine and this would be awesome with a cup of soup. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not only does it look delicious but seems like this omelette would have you set for most of the day. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was just thinking about making a spinach omelet the other day, but this sounds even better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I may have to make these for my flight to Perth next week - much better than plane food!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maria, this is a great recipe, thanks for sharing! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. MMMMM,...Maria! What an inventing & tasty breakfast omelette! Or great for brunch too!

    Wonderful pictures too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks fantastic Maria!!! I really love the idea of this and what a great protein filled vegetarian meal.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These look so cool let alone incredibly delicious! Love to serve this for a dinner party or something

    ReplyDelete
  10. Maria, this looks delicious! Would love to try this weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks soooo tasty, love the ingredients u've used!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. ooooh nice a healthy roulade. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This roll reminded me of one my mother used to make; not with quinoa though~ looks great, and so healthy~

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like the combination of ingredients. I am sure it would be good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks wonderfully appetizing and just 'oozes' health! Another one to try . . . thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. what an unique dish Maria! I have never seen an omelette rolled up like this, I will be sure to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a wonderful concept. I will have to make this for my family..

    ReplyDelete
  18. Found your blog via Catty, and I love your work! Have recently discovered quinoa and I absolutely adore it, have been looking out for more ways to use it - and here's one! Bookmarked to try. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. An omelette roll?! How have I never heard of this?? It looks amazing!! :)

    Sues

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a great idea! I love omelettes! And the filling is so nutritious. :-)

    Wholesome Cook recently posted: {Day 15} Vegan choc and peanut butter no-bake cheesecake

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love every single ingredient of this recipe, just up my alley. What a great combination. Will have to make this for lunch very soon. Thanks for sharing, Maria!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Such a unique recipe! Possibilities seem endless with filling! very interesting :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love this! We have a similar dish in Japan but I've completely forgotten about it until now! Can't wait to make this.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I've seen omelet rolls before but never with a filling so nutrient dense! I wonder would else I could stuff in-between those egg layers...

    ReplyDelete
  25. THis look s absolutely delightful. I love eggs in any way and this is very creative. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  26. These look fantastic....satisfying, healthy and so tasty. Most definitely on the to do list.

    ReplyDelete
  27. what an attractive creation, maria, and it's oh-so-healthful! really lovely work. :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. I am so intrigued by this omelette roll concept! I love all of the ingredients so I have no doubt I'd go crazy for one of your omelette rolls.

    ReplyDelete
  29. This sounds great! We actually have some leftover fish and tofu that I have been wondering what to do with. It would be fab in this :) Thanks Maria!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Mitä herkkua, apua! :) Pakko koittaa.

    ReplyDelete
  31. This looks so delicious and so packed full of good ingredients.

    ReplyDelete