October 10, 2011

Spiced tempeh chips


Tempeh goes in the same category with tofu - people seem to either love it or hate it. I personally love tofu (firmer, the better), but don't seem to cook tempeh often enough. These spiced chips were quite addictive, however, so I might just have to make a new batch very soon.

I only really learned to use spices when I moved to Australia. Back in Finland my taste buds were quite happily adjusted to the traditional non-spicy food, but when I started tasting and cooking food in my new home-country, I soon realised that there was a whole world of spices for me to explore. I still steer away from hot and spicy food and I think you know by now that I'm one of the biggest chilli wimps around, but I do love using other spices with a (tiny) pinch of chilli.

We all know the health benefits of spices too, and I've tried to combine some of the 'best' spices in this dish - turmeric, cinnamon, coriander, chilli (you could also use cayenne pepper), cumin and black pepper. I sprinkle cinnamon on nearly everything and it's certainly out there with my favourites spices. Dipped in creamy avocado these tempeh chips were a perfect weekend lunch!


Spiced tempeh chips

1 packet of tempeh (300g)
 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/4 teaspoon chilli flakes or cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
pinch of sea salt
freshly ground black pepper

1/2 avocado and lemon juice, for serving

1. Preheat the oven to 150C and line a baking sheet with baking paper. 

2. Cut the tempeh into thinnish slices and arrange the slices on the baking sheet.

3. Mix together all the spices and sprinkle the mixture on both sides of the tempeh slices. 

4. Bake for 40-60 minutes, turning the slices regularly, until they feel firm and slightly crispy. 

5. Serve the chips with mashed avocado that has been mixed with lemon juice.


You could also try: Spicy tempeh balls

28 comments:

  1. A great snack! Those look really good.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never seen Tempeh cooked this way- what a fabulous way to enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks great - I've never tried tempeh, but I definitely should!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, such a flavoursome snack with beautiful aromatics!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Even if I did not care for tempeh (have never tried it) I would love this dip! Yum

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just found your blog via Foodgwaker. Wow!! This looks incredible! Love the idea to serve them with the avocado dip!

    ReplyDelete
  7. They sounds absolutely delicious, especially with the avocado dip!

    ReplyDelete
  8. yummyy.. love this idea of tempeh chips with avocado! super fun and protein filled snack!

    Richa @ Hobby And More Food Blog

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have never had tempeh before, although I do love tofu! I am curious now...must see if I can find this here...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Maria, that looks yummy! I have never tasted tempeh before!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks delicious. What a creative way to use tempeh. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a healthy snack! I am always looking out for savory snacks like these!! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  13. Since breast cancer I tend to avoid soy ... but tempeh doesn't count (as much) coz it's fermented. Yay! :) I can even get fresh, homemade tempeh in my Food Connect box - so I'll be trying this for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This would go so perfect with the avo. YUM! It looks so great Maria :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have no idea what tempeh even is! I swear I learn so much from you :) I think all Scandi's must be chilli wimps cos Panu is also a massive chilli wimp!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have never had tempeh before but it looks very interesting and really good. I love the crunch factor to it and the spices!YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  17. These sound really good! It's funny because I use tofu way more often than tempeh too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This looks delicious, Maria! And so easy...perfect for healthy weekend snacking. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. So. Good. I've been obsessed with tofu and tempeh lately, generally just eating them cold crumbled up with nooch and mustard :P I really need to stop being lazy and make this!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm definitely a tempeh-lover and I know I would love it times TEN covered in all these spices!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love this idea, Maria! These chips look so delicious, especially with the mashed avocado... mmm! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I don't mind tofu but I really dislike tempeh, I tried making a dish a few weeks ago and ended up discarding the tempeh because I couldn't get past that fermented bean taste. I think it is probably an acquired taste perhaps with all those strong spices it would be better

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a lovely, lovely idea. I absolutely love tempeh, find I crave it sometimes. But I've never thought to cover it in spices, bake and use as chips.

    Brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  24. These sound delicious! I just bought tempeh for the first time and have been looking for recipes to use it in!

    ReplyDelete
  25. These look lovely! What a great idea for tempeh!

    ReplyDelete