October 04, 2011

Red lentil and sweet potato soup


My "going through the cupboards"- phase continues and whilst I was at it, I attacked my pantry and the fridge, emptying out all of the expired stuff. I generally don't like throwing food out, but every now and then I have to be brutal and accept that I had bought something or was given something I had never used up. I picked up a half-empty (or was it half-full...) packet of red lentils and decided to cook that up for lunch. At the back of the packet was a recipe for a soup which sounded just perfect for our lazy Labour Day lunch. My fiancé even kindly agreed to hand-model for me whilst he was slurping down his bowlful of thick, velvety soup. There was enough left-overs for tomorrow's lunch as well as to freeze for another time.

Red lentil and sweet potato soup
(serves 4-6)
(recipe adapted from the back of the red lentils packet)

1 tablespoon extra-virgin coconut oil
1 brown onion, finely chopped
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/2 teaspoon yellow mustard seeds
pinch of sea salt
1 cup red lentils, rinsed
1 medium sized sweet potato, peeled and cut into chunks
5-6 cups water
1 tablespoon tamari
freshly ground black pepper

1. Heat the coconut oil in a heavy-based pan. Add onion, spices and salt and simmer for a few minutes. 

2. Add the lentils, sweet potato and water and simmer for 30 minutes or until the potato is tender. 

3. Season the mixture with tamari and freshly ground black pepper and puree into a smooth, thick soup.


28 comments:

  1. Like you, I hate throwing away food... That soup looks lovely!

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it when my soup is thick and smooth! Mmm, looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooo this looks like SUCH a great winter warmer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweet potatoes and red lentils are a match made in heaven. I've never tried it with such spices as mustard seeds and turmeric but it sounds delic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This soup looks delicious and I like the photos. I cook the best when having to use things up

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks great Maria - I guess its spring where you are, but this also looks perfect for the autumn we're having in Europe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This soup sounds delicious! I don't like to throw away food either!

    ReplyDelete
  8. All this cold weather has sent me back into my soup mode, love it. (The soup that is, the cold needs to go away!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's a very warming photo too with hands cupping the bowl.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks beautifully thick and luscious - everything that an autumnal (yup, i'm up in the northern hemisphere too) soup should be. The colour is lovely too on a cold grey day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous picture! There's something so comforting about sweet potatoes and lentil, perfect for the season!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a gorgeous color of soup! Love the color contrast on yellow orange sweet potato and the blue bowl. Yummy~~

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think I desperately need this to warm me up today. It's chilly here!

    ReplyDelete
  14. How creamy and lovely the soup look..not to forget that its loaded with loads of health benefits.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a beautiful and seasonal soup! Your photography is amazing.
    *kisses* HH

    ReplyDelete
  16. The soup looks delicious and I love that bowl!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks fantastic... but where do I find tamari?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lentils and sweet potatoes are staples of mine...love this soup! I think this is on tonight's menu.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your soup looks gorgeous!!! I really like the sound of this as I love sweet potato but have never tried it in a soup.

    ReplyDelete
  20. sweet potato soup- oh it sounds dreamy with the flavors of and texture of the lentils added in. Delightful and so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you all!

    vrburns85: Tamari is available at most supermarkets, health food stores and Asian grocery stores.

    Kind regards,
    Maria
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have all the ingredients in the house... sweet potatoes are my favourite!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have 3/4 of a package of red lentils (which I bought for soup) and I love sweet potatoes. Gonna make this! Love the flavors!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hehehe you have a right little family of hand models going on ;)

    ReplyDelete
  25. My favourite soup, so comforting...especially my Mum's lentil soup, that is the best :) What I like about this one is the addition coconut & the spices...a great variation what I would usually do.

    ReplyDelete
  26. It's Novembr 1st and chilly for Vancouver,B.C. this is dinner tonight thanks

    ReplyDelete
  27. I've made this soup at least 4 times now.. it's SO delicious and easy!

    ReplyDelete