Thank you all for the lovely words on my previous post - I knew you'd understand! I couldn't help myself but drop in to share this tasty spring recipe with you. We have had some wonderful spring weather here in Sydney too and I've been sitting on my tiny balcony, surrounded by all the herbs, reading and enjoying lunches and numerous cups of tea. This quick and easy lunch has everything I love - quinoa, asparagus and coconut flakes which have become my best friend after quitting sugar three weeks ago. It is perfect to whip up, scoop into a bowl and savour outside in the sun.
Hope you are all enjoying your weekend too!
Quinoa with asparagus and toasted coconut
1 cup quinoa, rinsed
1 1/2 cups water
pinch of sea salt
freshly ground black pepper
1/2 lemon, juiced
1 tablespoon of extra-virgin olive oil
2 bunches asparagus
handful (1/2 cup) unsweetened coconut flakes
1. Place the quinoa in a saucepan and pour in the water. Bring to boil, then let simmer for 10 minutes. Cover the pan with a lid and leave to sit for 5 minutes.
2. While the quinoa is cooking, toast the coconut flakes on a dry frying pan until golden. Set aside.
3. Chop the woody ends off the asparagus. Cut the remaining stems into 1 cm pieces, and leave the tips untouched.
4. Add a splash of water in the frying pan and steam cook the asparagus stems until just tender. Set aside. Steam the tips in the same pan with a bit more water added in.
5. Fluff the quinoa and season it with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Add in lemon juice and olive oil, and the cooked asparagus stems. Toss to mix and scoop on a plate.
6. Top the dish with the asparagus tips and golden coconut flakes. Enjoy immediately.