October 30, 2011

Grain-free ratatouille tarts


I love the serenity of Sunday mornings. I am always up early, go for a long power walk, have a big breakfast and more often than not, prepare something to have later in the day for lunch or afternoon tea. These irresistible ratatouille tarts have been my recent favourite for a weekend lunch. In the past I've made them with a normal spelt flour base and topped them with goat or feta cheese, but after cutting down on grains, this almond crust is just perfect. I've left the cheese out this time too, but feel free to crumble some on, if you wish. You can play with the ingredients as well, try wild mushrooms or other seasonal ingredients that are available in your corner of the world.


Grain-free ratatouille tarts
(recipe inspired by Pirkka)
(makes 4 small tarts)

Base

200g almond meal
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 large egg (organic, free-range)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, finely chopped
pinch of sea salt

Filling*

1 tablespoon virgin coconut oil or olive oil
1 medium sized (400g) eggplant, chopped into cubes
1 medium sized red capsicum/bell pepper (250g), chopped into cubes
2 zucchinis (200g), chopped into cubes
2 tomatoes, chopped
1 small brown onion, finely chopped
2 teaspoons dry oregano
freshly ground black pepper
sea salt

 *Any left-over filling is delicious with a bowl of quinoa!

1. Start by making the filling. Heat half of the oil in a large frying pan and add the eggplant. Cook for a few minutes or until just starting to soften. Place the eggplant on a plate and set aside.

2. Add the other half of the oil into the pan and add capsicum, zucchini, tomatoes and onion. Cook for a few minutes, then add the eggplant back into the pan. Season the vegetables with oregano, black pepper and sea salt. Cover the pan and let simmer on low heat for about 20 minutes. Set aside and leave to cool.

3. Preheat the oven to 180C and grease 4 (13cm) pie dishes.

4. To make the bases, combine all the ingredients in a bowl and lightly knead to mix thoroughly. Divide the dough into 4 portions and use your fingers to press the dough on to the bottom and sides of each pie dish. Refrigerate the bases for 10-15 minutes.

5. Bake the bases for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and top each crust with the filling. Continue to bake for a further 5 minutes. Cool on a wire rack before removing from the cases and serving.


18 comments:

  1. I love ratatouille! Now I'm wondering how it would taste paired with your almond tart base.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ratatouille is so delicious and these tarts sounds so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recently found your blog and I love it--both the healthful, simplicity of the recipes and the lovely photos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh I love the idea of ratatouille tarts!!!! What a fantastic idea! I love this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How lovely! I bet these would be delicious with some goats or feta cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ihastuttavat pienet piirakat!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look so delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Sunday mornings as well - I try to get up early so I can saviour the day and go for a walk with a coffee in hand!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very nice gluten free entree,grate some pecorino pepato over the top.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I feel like singing about 'my favourite things'! A slightly different take on an old favourite! Recipe stored away :) !

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds perfect :) I love the tart shell!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These look yummy and actually doesn't sound too complicated in the recipe :) I have bookmarked SOOOOO MANY of your healthy recipes, I need to get my butt into gear and start making them!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yum! Haven't had ratatouille in a while, thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the ratatouille! These tarts are so delicious!!! thanks for the recipe and fantastic photos!

    ReplyDelete
  15. How are you feeling when cutting down on the grains sweetie? I feel so much better when i do! LOVE

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful tarts, and a delicious new twist on ratatouille!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your tarts look incredible! I will have to try this on the weekend. Do you salt your eggplant before you cook with them ?

    ReplyDelete
  18. I was just trying to figure out what to do with all my egglplants and squash from the farmer's market. i already made ratatouille last week, but this is a great twist on the dish. Can't wait to make it! Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete