September 14, 2011

Quinoa salad with papaya and avocado


This salad was inspired by an amazing fruit box I received as a birthday gift from work - the box contained the best seasonal fruit, including bananas which I haven't had for so many months due to extremely high prices here in Sydney! It felt like luxury to have bananas again... and there were other treats in the box too, including delicious apples, pears, grapes, strawberries, a juicy mango, papaya...

This quinoa salad I made is definitely one of my favourites, and it's so quick to prepare it won't really require any particular effort at all. I love experimenting with new flavour combinations and as strange it may sound, dill goes really well with the flavours in this dish.


Quinoa salad with papaya and avocado
(serves 2)

1 cup quinoa, rinsed
1 papaya, cut into cubes
1/2 avocado, cut into cubes
1 small lemon, juiced
10cm piece of leek, finely sliced
3 tablespoons of fresh dill, finely chopped
extra-virgin olive oil
pinch of sea salt

1. Cook the quinoa in 1 1/2 cups of water for 10 minutes, then leave, covered, for 5 minutes. 

2. Fluff the quinoa with a fork, then combine with papaya, avocado and leek. 

3. Season with lemon juice, extra-virgin olive oil, salt and dill. Toss well to combine and serve.

Some of my birthday flowers are still looking gorgeous! Thank you Elizabeth!

25 comments:

  1. A gorgeous salad! So fresh.

    Beautiful flowers!

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks great! I'm a new fan of papaya. I mainly only eat it frozen in my smoothies though...I always hear that bananas are so expensive in australia! In canada they're the cheapest fruit you can get! Do bananas grow in australia?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could eat this right now! I looks so fresh and i love the idea of combining papaya with avocado. that was a really special friend who gave you that fruit box! I can't believe bananas are so expensive where you are. Never would have thought of them as a "luxury" fruit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A healthy and fresh salad! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A fruit box is such a nice gift! Your quinoa salad looks so healthy, very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  6. love the papaya addition with quinoa! So fresh and fabulous, as usual :) & what beautiful birthday flower!
    Heidi xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Papaya sounds like a nice complement to the avocado, a nice and unexpected combination of flavors.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can see why this is your favorite, maria! lovely. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the idea of leek with that combination - looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the dish but I am loving the idea of a fruit box for a present- especially to someone like you who loves to cook. What a great idea. The quinoa salad with the addition of papaya takes it over the top! Love it

    ReplyDelete
  11. A very unique quinoa recipe! such interesting flavours!! I am curious about papaya and avocado together :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks just divine! And you can have my bananas...they are .76 cents here :) Hope you had a very happy birthday, Maria!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I could totally see dill at work in this salad. For a herb with such distinct flavors, it works with a surprising variety of ingredients! I haven't had papaya in such a long time, feeling wistful just looking at your beautiful salad!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely looking salad. Great combination of flavours. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This might be the best quinoa salad yet!! I've made a ton, but I love the addition of these sweet, fun fruits :)

    Sues

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love papaya! This salad looks amazing :) beautiful flowers too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. OK - shall find pawpaw at the s'market tomorrow morning: very interesting combo I want to try!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful colours! Calm but fresh & energetic.
    LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Quinoa is Panu and my favourite thing right now, we can't get enough of it so new ideas on how to cook it is perfect! thank yoU!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow this salad is so amazing, I love papayas and avocados!


    Zero Dramas

    ReplyDelete
  22. it seems crazy to me that banana are expensive for you! not to rub it in, but they're the least expensive fruit in my grocery store!
    on a brighter note, this is a stellar side dish--i'd fly to the moon for some avocado. :)

    ReplyDelete