September 26, 2011

Marinated tofu with seasonal vegetables


There is an inevitable amount of Asian influence around our home. My partner being half-Japanese, I have learned to adapt and embrace the cultural influences in all aspects of my life. It is no secret that I adore the Japanese cuisine and love including the Japanese flavours in my every-day meals.

It is also no secret that I love tofu and can eat it on its own, in salads, soups, marinated, stir-fried, in all forms possible. There is nothing new about a quick vegetable stir-fry, but it is the marinade in this dish that should soften the hardest tofu-sceptics out there. This will no doubt be my new favourite and I have yet again one more delicious way to enjoy tofu.

You can use any seasonal veggies you happen to have. Try adding snow peas, shallots, green garlic, even nuts. If you're a chilli lover, add some fresh chilli in the mix too.

Marinated tofu with seasonal vegetables
(serves 2-4)
(Recipe adapted from Clean Start by Terry Walters)

350g extra-firm tofu (non-GMO), cut into small cubes
1 tablespoon 'white' miso  
knob of fresh ginger, grated
2 tablespoons sesame seeds
2 tablespoons brown rice vinegar
1 tablespoon maple syrup
1/4 cup water

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 red onion, thinly sliced
3 small carrots, julienned
1 broccoli, florets halved and stem julienned
1 red capsicum/pepper, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon tamari
sesame oil, to taste

1. To make the marinade, mix the miso, ginger, sesame seeds, brown rice vinegar, maple syrup and water in a bowl. Add the tofu and leave to marinade for half an hour.

2. Heat the olive oil in a frying pan or wok. Add the onion slices and sautee for one minute. Add the carrots and the broccoli stems and sautee for a further couple of minutes. Remove from the pan and set aside.

3. Next add the capsicum, along with the broccoli florets onto the pan. Cook for a couple of minutes, they needn't be soft, just slightly tender and crunchy. Add the carrots, broccoli stem and onion back into the pan. Season with tamari and sesame oil. Stir well, then remove from the heat and set aside.

4. Finally add the tofu, along with the marinade onto the pan. Fry for a few minutes turning the tofu to ensure even coating.

5. Serve the marinated tofu with the vegetables.


27 comments:

  1. Delicious! That healthy, colorful and tasty dish looks so good.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore tofu, but can you believe I have never tried marinating it? Crazy, I know! Thank you for the inspiration, I will be making this this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am most definitely a tofu skeptic, but this sauce DOES sound intriguing... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This marinade looks fantastic! I'm always looking for new ways to spice up tofu, and this is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like tofu too and your dish looks so delicious and colorful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love a good tofu stir fry! I have a similar one where I use lots of ginger and sesame.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never been a fan of tofu, it always seems to be so flavourless for me, but I like the idea of marinating it to give it some flavour. I will have to try this and see if I can convert myself into a tofu lover.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like tofu but have a hard time convincing my boyfriend of its merits. However I did manage to sway him with Ottolenghi's black pepper marinaded version. This one looks like another winner - bookmarked to try!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have just started eating tofu... it was my nemesis for the longest time! Glad to discover new ways to enjoy it!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a fresh, beautiful weeknight meal. We are omnivores but go heavy on the veggies. This dish is perfect for us, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can't wait to give this dish a try! I also love tofu and your marinade sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That looks so enticing right now. I love all the vegetables with that marinade. No way someone could be picky and not eat their veggies with a dish like this in front of them. I love it

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks AND sounds delish, my goodness, I LOVE every single one of your recipes! How is that even possible? ;) Thank you for the inspiration <3

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is my kind of recipe! I love meals like this!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks so delicious, Maria! I'll be trying this!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I don't often cook with tofu but when I do I always enjoy it. The marinate in this recipe sounds beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  17. I do love tofu when its done like this. Its Stud that needs convincing. Although this might just turn him haha.
    I love all of the influences around your home. Stud and I cant wait to go to Japan, it looks like such an amazing place!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, yum, Maria! Have had the good fortune to stay in Japan on business umpteen times ever since my early 20s in the dim dark past! Tofu was forever being served, most often, of course, in the then sukiyaki, which was deemed 'suitable' to Westeners. No plusses or minuses in my book! Since then have really come to appreciate it and use it at least a couple of times a week, mostly in stirfries. But, this tastes really lovely on my palate and shall try it in the next few days. Thanks :) !

    ReplyDelete
  19. Mmm...I'm drooling :) Gorgeous-Tasty dish, Maria :)

    Hugs,

    Aldy.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I also love tofu in all its shapes and forms. If you and Michael ever go to Vegas, I have to send you to this amazing Izakaya place off-strip that makes the BEST fresh and agadashi tofu EVER!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love tofu yet rarely eat it! Why? Because my sons don't? This is a really wonderful and wonderfully flavored dish and may inspire me to go out and pickup some tofu.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm always on the look out for a good marinade for tofu. I'll have to give this one a try.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love tofu.. and i guess this will be on my dinner table this coming friday..

    Thank u for sharing this amazing recipe.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh, I could dive into this tofu dish right now...lunch is approaching and I am hungry. I love tofu and my kids are big fans, too, so I look forward to trying this version.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Beautiful, Maria! You're so skilful you can even make me crave non-sweet things :P

    ReplyDelete
  26. Was looking for a nice asian inspired tofu salad and I found this :) Hope you're having a good time in France, Maria!

    ReplyDelete