September 18, 2011

Gluten-free strawberry and wattleseed muffins and rhubarb juice


Hi friends!

It's been marvellously sunny and warm here in Sydney for the past few days and I am really loving the smell of blooming spring flowers and the warm breeze that comes through the open windows. The mornings are much brighter and the days are getting longer - Summer is on its way!


I am also happy to let you know that we have finalised the deal for our new home and will be moving in later this spring! I am so excited about planning the interiors for the new place. After five years of living together we have of course accumulated a lot of stuff, but we will need to buy some new furniture as our new home will be quite a lot bigger than our current one. I will try to plan this carefully and select pieces that are perhaps a bit pricier but better quality and therefore (hopefully) longer lasting. Anyway, it's all exciting stuff and I'll be updating you guys regularly when things really start happening.


In the mean while, here's a little Sunday morning treat I made for this sunny spring day. I used roasted ground wattleseed to give these muffins a little extra flavour, but if you can't find wattleseed (a native Australian spice), you could replace it with cinnamon. Wattleseed has a nice coffee-like flavour that goes really well with the ingredients used in these muffins. I'm serving these treats with some refreshing rhubarb juice which is so simple to make and beats any of those sugar and preservative loaded shop-bought juices any day.

Hope you are all enjoying the weekend!

 


Gluten-free Strawberry and Wattleseed Muffins
(makes 8-10)

100g raw caster sugar
110g teff flour
110g sorghum flour
55g almond meal
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt (I use Maldon)
1 teaspoon ground wattleseed
175ml water
75ml olive oil
2 large free-range eggs
3-4 fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced

1. Preheat the oven to 180C and prepare a 10 or 12 cup muffin tin. 

2. Mix the caster sugar, flours, almond meal, baking powder, salt and wattleseed in a bowl. 

3. Whisk the water, olive oil and eggs in a jug. 

4. Pour the egg mixture in to the dry ingredients and stir quickly together. 

5. Spoon the mixture into the muffin cups and top each muffin with a slice of strawberry. Gently press the strawberry slices into the batter.

6. Bake for 20-30 minutes or until a tester inserted in to the muffin comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.

 

 Rhubarb Juice*
(makes about 1 litre)

500g rhubarb, cut into pieces
1 lemon, peeled and cut into slices
boiling water
raw sugar, to taste

* you need to start this recipe a day ahead. 

1. Layer the rhubarb and the lemon slices into a clean jar. 

2. Top the pieces with boiling water. 

3. Close the jar and keep it covered (with a tea towel) in room temperature for about 24 hours. Half-way through, gently mash the rhubarb in the jar. Close the jar and continue to let "brewing".

4. Sieve the juice, add sugar to taste and enjoy. This will keep in the fridge for about 3 days. 


25 comments:

  1. I like the idea of rhubarb juice. Sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our Summer has officially come to an end! It's gray and rainy here now, but I just so happen to have some rhubarb left over in my freezer and that juice may be just what I need to boost my day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delightful! Those muffins look so pretty and the rhubarb juice so intriguing.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the idea of rhubarb juice too - it sounds absolutely delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks delicious and I miss rhubarbs! Congratulations on your new home :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great news about the house! Lovely muffins!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is difficult to believe that those splendid looking muffins are gluten-free! I love baking (and I've got the hips to prove it) but I've clearly got a lot to learn about gluten-free baking.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the idea of rhubarb! The photos are excellent, by the way ^^

    http://milk-and-tea.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, can you suggest any replacement for sorghum flour? Or something one might find in Finland:) Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations on your new home! SO exciting. Beautiful recipe too :)
    Heidi xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ihanat muffinit! Ja varmaankin ihanaa muuttaa uuteen kotiin:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad to hear that you were able to finalize the deal on your house! Those muffins look great and I love the color of rhubarb juice.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Maria! I am so happy to hear about your new home and all the plans. Congratulations (!) - I can feel your excitement through the screen, all the way to Sweden! :)

    I love these muffins, and the rhubarb juice looks fantastic. Isn't rhubarb just the best fruit (or is it a vegetable.. I never learn which..?!).
    Here in the North we are enjoying the richness of Autumn. It's one of the best times of the year in Sweden to me. I have returned home from the forest with baskets filled to the brim with Chanterelles, Horns of Plenty and Black Trumpet mushrooms. It's simply divine!
    The plums, pears and apples in my garden are ripe and ready to be picked. I grab one off the branch rather than harvest many at a time. Such a privilege!
    There is so much to enjoy and cherish right now and I'm smiling from my toes to the top of my head! :)

    Warmest hugs from our beautiful Scandinavia

    x Charlotta

    ReplyDelete
  14. My Godmother used to make drinking rhubarb compote in Summer, I detested the floaty bits in it, so this is a much more palatable option for me I think. Thanks for the recipe :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations on finalising the deal on your new house!! I am sure you will have fun purchasing new furniture for your new home.

    Those muffins look fantastic, and I love the idea of using wattleseed, and the rhubarb juice is so gorgeous in it's pinkyness. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The rhubarb juice looks great!! Def going to try that :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I would love to try wattleseed, it sounds beautiful and those muffins look divine! I am fascinated by the juice, I will have to give it a try this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  18. do you know I'm deeply in love with rhubarb? red, English.. I'm absolutely in love with him, ehm, it! ;)

    I can feel spring over there, and here Autumn is knocking on the door: that's why I love reading your blog, I can see the time passing and bringing new flavours!

    can't wait to visit you in your new house! x

    ReplyDelete
  19. I can;t believe you are now going through summer as we are ending. Crazy! This wattleseed looks amazing, so beautiful and sweet but I am really loving the juice! YUMY! can i get a glass please

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congrats on moving into the new house! I love decorating so much, I wish I can move to a new place every year or so :)))

    The muffins look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This cupcakes are amaizing;)yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Congratulations on your new home! And your little cakes and juice are lovely morning treats!

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a great idea with strawberries!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hey girl! Linking back to these yummy muffins on Monday :) Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Made the rhubarb juice and it is so pretty even though I used lots of the green parts. Sweetened with honey, which was really yum too. Will post about it soon, it's sooo tasty! Thank you thank you thank you!

    ReplyDelete