September 16, 2011

Gluten-free Rhubarb and Raisin Betty


Remember that nerve wrecking thing I was talking about last week? Well, today we are a step closer to having a new home! That's right, we have found a place we both like and that ticks all the boxes (or at least most of them) in our list. However, I prefer not to give too many details just yet, as we are still finalising the deal and I am too paranoid and superstitious to jinx anything! I will certainly share more info and photos with you as soon as I can.

Nevertheless, I thought it was appropriate to celebrate this occasion with a little treat. This gluten-free rhubarb and raisin betty (a crumble with multiple layers) is made with teff and sorghum flour and quinoa flakes, which results in a soft 'sand-like' texture. I love the rich flavour of teff flour and I think it goes so nicely with rhubarb. Since I've used extra-virgin coconut oil and 'soft' flours in this dish, the outcome is not a crunchy crumble, but more finer texture. I had it on its own, but if you have some good vanilla bean ice cream or even thick Greek yoghurt, I think it would go very well with this. Enjoy!


 Gluten-free Rhubarb and Raisin Betty

250g rhubarb, cut into 1 cm pieces
small handful of crimson raisins (or normal raisins)
1 tablespoon natural raw vanilla sugar
pinch of ground cinnamon

50g teff flour
70g sorghum flour
pinch of ground cinnamon
35g natural raw vanilla sugar
80g extra-virgin coconut oil
50g quinoa flakes

1. Preheat oven to 180C and grease an oven proof dish (my round dish measures about 20cm). 

2. Combine the rhubarb, raisins, a tablespoon of raw vanilla sugar (or rapadura sugar and natural vanilla paste) and ground cinnamon in a bowl. Set aside.

3. Place both of the flours, cinnamon and the sugar in a separate bowl. Add the coconut oil (which should be soft butter-like consistency, not liquid) and using your fingers, work the dough into sand-like mixture. 

4. Place half of the rhubarb and raisin mixture on the bottom of the dish. Spread half of the flour mixture on top, then add the rest of the rhubarb mixture on top of that. Add the quinoa flakes to the remaining part of the flour-coconut oil mixture and spread on top of the last layer of rhubarb. 

5. Cover the dish with foil and bake for 20-30 minutes. Remove the foil and continue to bake about 10 minutes. Rhubarb should be soft, but don't worry if the quinoa on top looks "undercooked", it will be fine. Enjoy warm (or cold!) on its own or with good vanilla bean ice cream or thick Greek yoghurt.


25 comments:

  1. It must have a very interesting flavor! I wish I could find teff flour... Ah, I cannot resist rhubarb-based desserts.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope everything works out with the house! This looks like a great celebration treat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've got my fingers crossed that things work out well for you. I love the idea of using quinoa flakes in this dish. Maybe I'll make a plum version (as it's autumn here). :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excited about your news and will hope for the best, Maria. I remember the total excitement of owning our first home. Crazily, we are on our EIGHTH home (including year long apartments). But that first one is the BEST.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was so close in guessing what this was from your instagram! It's so beautiful Maria and I'm so excited for you guys being closer to having your own place. Great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I only wish i could get my hands on some teff and sorghum flours. I have looked everywhere in my local area for this. I have found some fantastic recipes using them both and now yours is another to add to the collection.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh good luck! I hope you do get what you are looking for.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks just scrumptious...a perfect dish for the coming fall season here in the States. I hope your housing situation works out!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What exactly is a Betty? like a crumble? Looks good anyways :) and YAY congrats on being that one step closer!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks yummy! Hope everything works out with the house!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks fantastic Maria!!!! A fantastic dish to celebrate. I've never heard of teff flour but you have me intrigued. I'm going to have to research it.

    I hope everything works out with your new home. Fingers crossed!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is lovely! Good luck with everything. Hope the home deal comes through smoothly!

    ReplyDelete
  13. yay! congrats on your potential new home! I pray it all works out smoothly!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fingers crossed for you! :) :) This looks magnificent. Would love to make it with dried cherries instead of raisins :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a beautiful and interesting dessert! And I hope your new home turns out to be everything you want it to be :)

    Great way to celebrate!

    Hugs,

    Aldy.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gluten free and delicious- bring it on! It looks great and so beautiful. Good luck on the new home! That is exciting

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely dessert looks fantastic. Good luck on your new house.

    ReplyDelete
  18. So pretty! I love the idea of that texture and combination of flours. And good luck with everything! Hoping for the best. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for a beautiful recipe! Where did you get the Teff flour from?
    Good luck with the house, I'm looking too :)
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  20. That's quite an interesting flavor. I'm a fan of rhubarb and it's making me crave for it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very interesting flavors! Great dessert to celebrate!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sounds delicious! Good luck with everything :) keeping everything crossed for you!

    ReplyDelete
  23. i love a brown betty, and your pick of fruits is quite unique! the quinoa flakes are an interesting component, too--bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you all!

    Erin: In Sydney, teff flour is available (at least) in Taste Organic in Crows Nest. I bought Bob's Red Mill brand which is probably available at other organic/health food stores as well.

    Kind regards,
    Maria
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  25. Yum! I finally found some teff flour at a health food store here in Perth, after many months... years of dreaming about it. I love the pairing of it with the rhubarb.

    ReplyDelete