September 12, 2011

Buckwheat filled mushrooms


Thank you all for your kind comments on my birthday - I felt so lucky to have so many loving people in my life! My birthday ended up being a rather emotional and nerve wrecking day, but I might have some really good news to share with you later this week, so stay tuned! ;-) It also happened to be pretty much the only day it rained here in Sydney, so in between eating cake I did some sewing, watched a movie and gave moral support to my fiancé who was dealing with everything related to that nerve wrecking thing I mentioned above.

Fortunately Saturday dawned a bit clearer and I had a lovely fika with my gorgeous Swedish friend and spent time outdoors. It literally felt like the dark clouds had been swiped away! Yesterday there was more celebrations as we enjoyed a delicious kaiseki lunch with my fiancé's parents at a local Japanese restaurant. All in all it was a memorable and lovely weekend!

 

So how do these buckwheat filled mushrooms relate to all of the above? Well they don't, but after a big lunch I really didn't feel like having a heavy dinner and these portobello mushrooms were a perfect light meal to end the day. I love the crunchy buckwheat and I rather under-cook it just a little than let it go all mushy and porridge-like. Pared with rosemary (a little garlic and lemon zest too , if you wish) and tiny bit of cheese they are such a simple thing to enjoy.


 Buckwheat filled portobello mushrooms
(4 portions)

4 portobello mushrooms, stalked removed
1/2 cup raw buckwheat kernels
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
small clove of garlic, finely grated, optional
zest of 1/2 lemon, finely grated, optional
freshly ground black pepper
pinch of salt
3-4 tablespoons grated cheese of your choice 
extra-virgin olive oil

1. Preheat oven to 180C. 

2. Cook the buckwheat in plenty of water for about 5-10 minutes or until just slightly tender. Check after 5 minutes, then cook it to your liking, but remember it will continue to soften in the oven!

3. Drain the buckwheat and stir in the rosemary, garlic, lemon zest and season with salt and pepper. 

4. Fill the cavities of the mushrooms with the buckwheat mixture, then sprinkle some cheese on top of each mushroom. Drizzle the mushrooms lightly with some good extra-virgin olive oil.

5. Place the mushrooms in an oven proof dish, cover with foil and bake for about 15 minutes or until softened, but not too mushy. Serve warm.