September 07, 2011

Blood orange and poppy seed spelt cakes


Buying breakfast on my way to work or going out for breakfast is not something I do very often. In fact, I only ever buy breakfast when I'm travelling. On a normal day, even on the weekends, a breakfast at home is much more comfortable and it doesn't really even cross my mind to opt for anything else.

I am always hungry in the morning and ready for a big meal after my morning exercise. I can have anything from a Japanese influenced breakfast with tofu, umeboshi and brown rice, to a salad with baby spinach, avocado, soft boiled egg and flaxseed oil. Sometimes I treat myself with something a bit more special, like these blood orange and poppy seed cakes that were just perfect served with some fruit and a big cup of tea.


 Blood orange and poppy seed spelt cakes
(makes 4 cakes)

250g whole-grain spelt flour
3 tablespoons organic rapadura sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
50g poppy seeds
250ml freshly squeezed blood orange juice
finely grated zest of one blood orange
1 large free-range egg
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil


1. Preheat the oven to 180C and grease 4 small (about 250ml) cake tins. Alternatively, use muffin tins - this batter should make about 8 smaller cakes.

2. Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and soda, salt and poppy seeds in a large bowl. 

3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the juice, zest, egg and olive oil.

4. Add the egg mixture into the dry ingredients and stir to combine. Scoop the batter into the prepared tins and bake for 30-40 minutes or until a tester inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean. Leave to cool on a wire rack before serving.

31 comments:

  1. A wonderful dessert! So refined tasting.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Your breakfasts sound amazing! And these cakes look and sound scrumptious! Loving all the natural ingredients. And gorgeous photo, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful Maria! love the focus on the 2nd shot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous Maria! Thanks for sharing, love the combination of flavors!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I adore citrus flavours Maria! These look scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great dessert - they look so perfectly formed. And I love poppy seeds. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was so excited for blood orange season. I have been cooking up a storm with them. Will definitely make these!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Adorable! I love how the sun shines through the blood oranges and how the color compliments the turquoise. Looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A very intriguing combination of ingredients here, I would love to try these cakes!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How cute are these little cakes! They look like a great breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those little cakes look like a lovely breakfast. During the last year of working from home I've really started enjoying breakfast. I brew a pot of tea, set the table, and sit down with the husband. We enjoy this time chatting together so much he's often late for work. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. These look deliciously light and lovely. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am the same, almost never breakfast out! I often times have something sweet because I am not a salthy breakfast person, so I have muesli and fruit. But other times I like little treats like wholesome cookies or a slice of fruit cake. Like one of these little ones...Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So lovely cakes! I like poppy seed, but unfortunately you don't get it in Singapore.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The light on those blood oranges has been captured brilliantly - great job, Maria!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I was so excited to see blood oranges the other day. The season is so short! These look lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. those colorful oranges sitting on top of that fantastic piece of cake looks breathtaking. I love the orange flavor with poppy seeds and I am always impressed when spelt is used in cakes. Awesome

    ReplyDelete
  18. The combination of ingredients amazes me. It also makes me wonder and see or say, taste it myself.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful delicious looking dessert Maria! The orange color just pop up and make this dark poppy seed treat even more attractive!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yum! I've been having a blood orange a day for the past few weeks but have been thinking of making some sort of cake or muffins with them. These are great and look easy enough to whip up in the morning! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a gorgeous breakfast!!! I adore blood oranges, they are so beautiful and so hard to find sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  22. A tryly inspired approach to breakfast. am going to treat myself next week and make these.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Such a beautiful treat! Perfect with your big cup of tea :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love the look of those: appetizing and filling! Most of my cooking these days is fusion food with Asian and N African backgrounds, but for breakfast, oh, so often - matjes herring fillets and hardboiled egg on rye! Childhood influences still! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Lovely! You've segmented the orange perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I really can't wait for blood oranges to come back into season here...these are going to make for the perfect breakfast treat!

    ReplyDelete
  27. They look so refined and pretty and I bet taste just as good as they look!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Like you, I love having breakfast at home. These cakes are gorgeous...the perfect way to start the day!

    ReplyDelete
  29. These look amazing, Maria! I love citrus anything and I can only imagine how wonderful these cakes taste. I also prefer breakfast at home! (P.S. Happy Birthday)

    ReplyDelete
  30. i'm a big fan of both blood oranges and poppy seeds, and this is a classy way to eat them! :)

    ReplyDelete