August 14, 2011

Weekend affairs & lightly pickled carrots


Some of you may know that we are looking for a new home. I think I've already expressed my frustration a few times on Twitter and my apologies for all the ranting I sometimes do on the subject. It is never an easy task to find a new place and in a city like Sydney, it's a huge investment you need to consider carefully. We have inspected so many places in recent months I have lost count of them all and we don't seem to be any closer to finding anything soon. The whole process is frustrating to say the least!

Experimenting with new colour schemes for my desk...
So after our Saturday morning home hunting (which again was, you guess it, not successful), I sank my frustration into some other things - ironing, re-organising my little desk (once again), and making these easy pickled carrots. There is some strange consolation I find in the everyday tinkering and what could possible be more homely than pickling? Perhaps we'll find that new home one day, after all.



Pickled carrot and ginger
(Recipe adapted from Everyday Harumi)

450g carrot
50g fresh ginger

200ml water
150ml brown rice vinegar
3 tablespoons raw caster sugar
2 teaspoons sea salt

1. In a small saucepan, bring the water to boil. Turn off the heat, then add in brown rice vinegar, sugar and salt. Stir until the sugar and salt have dissolved. Set aside to cool.

2. Cut the carrots and the ginger into small matchsticks. Put them into small (clean) jars or one bigger one and pour the pickling vinegar on top. These can be kept refrigerated for up to one week.