August 02, 2011

Sunshine, Crafts and Fennelslaw with Lemon Myrtle



What is inspiring you this week? There is no doubt the sun and bright colours are on top of my list, as it is supposed to be a warm week here in Sydney! I spent most of my day cleaning, re-organising and de-cluttering our home and set up this little craft station for all the bits and pieces. I have always enjoyed doing all sorts of crafts and I am constantly painting, building, sewing, or doing something either for work or for home.

I was so entwined in all these homely things that by the time it had reached lunch time I was really hungry and craving for something quick, but light. A quick glance at my fridge contents got me thinking of a salad and a tub of my favourite organic yoghurt was an obvious choice for a dressing. This fennelslaw ended up being so tasty I almost forgot to take a photo of it, so a couple of happy snaps is all I can share with you today.

I hope you are feeling inspired too, have a great week! 

My new craft station made out of an old crate
Japanese fabrics and other crafty things

Fennelslaw with lemon myrtle
(serves 2-4)


1 fennel bulb, finely sliced
2 small zucchinis, finely sliced
1 apple, finely sliced
1 lemon, juiced
200ml organic yoghurt 
tiny pinch of sea salt
1 teaspoon ground lemon myrtle*

* if you can't find lemon myrtle, try ground sumac for a totally different taste or use lemon zest instead.

1. Put the fennel, zucchini and apple slices into a large bowl. Add half the lemon juice and toss to coat. 

2. Mix the yoghurt, rest of the lemon juice, salt and lemon myrtle in a separate bowl. Pour the dressing over the sliced vegetables and mix everything together. Leave to rest for half an hour in the fridge for the flavours to develop, if you have the patience and the time.



27 comments:

  1. A scrumptious salad!

    A lovely craft station. I wish I were a crafty person.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fennel and apple is such a refreshing combination. A day spent crafting and a lovely lunch is a good one indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks great - and I love your craft station! I also notice you have the flavour thesarus - it's marvellous, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE fennel and bet it's amazing with apple and lemon :) Being inspired by the sunshine is such an amazing thing :)

    Sues

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a creative and fresh lunch salad! I'm also in the process of decluttering out apartment, refurnishing and furnishing a room for our soon to be 2 year old daughter. Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. this sound perfectly refreshing and satisfying! i love fennel! what's this about a flavor thesaurus? ... i think i need to get one of those. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maria, what a lovely and elegant salad, love the combination of fennel and apples...beautiful pictures as well.
    Hope you have a fantastic week ahead :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love fennel and this salad looks amazing. I love the idea of adding sumac too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your craft station!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the little metal craft containers! And your salad looks fantastic too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful salad. Spring is in the air!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your salad looks wonderful . . . but I love your little sewing area!!! You have inspired me to once again try to tidy mine! Thanks! And I noticed our days are slightly shorter (although sweltering hot!) . . . sad for us . . . but good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What is inspiring me this week? Food of course and the suprisingly sunny days in Melbourne! Not too mention this kick ass salad you made up here ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. How funny, I bought a bag of lemon myrtle on the weekend. Look forward to trying it in a recipe! Happy de-cluttering!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love fennel bulb ever since I tried that this year. This salad looks delicious and such a refreshing taste. I love it! Your organized shelves make me want to organize my house. You have a lovely talent in styling (no wonder you are food stylist) - even the little corner shelf has a good style! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. what a delicious and light lunch! With all your pretty bits and pieces I can see why you'd be easily caught up with them!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a light and refreshing dish! Fennel must give it such a nice almost sweet flavor!

    ReplyDelete
  18. We watched this documentary yesterday on juice fasting and it inspired us to go after more vegetable recipes. Your light lunch with fennel looks so interesting. This is the kind of dish we need to fix more of over here!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am feeling inspired by planning a picnic on the beach after finding a new apartment.
    The dish looks so fresh and delicious! Yum yum.

    ReplyDelete
  20. My inspiration board isn't as complex as yours Maria but I do love the salad you created. So fresh, simple and love the lemon myrtle!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you, lady! Having just had a very full lunch, and remembering that half of fennel in the fridge, guess what is for later? Eeny- meeny etc: have lemon myrtle and sumac and lemons [bloomin' skite!] and am really looking forwards to trying this variant! Oh - blush when I think of the mess of my equivalent of 'craft station'! ;) !

    ReplyDelete
  22. The slaw looks so fresh and delicious. You house should totally be in Home & Living mag :) it seems like country perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have been much more into crafts lately too - probably fueled by my unhealthy obsession with Pinterest. ;) Love your craft station, and so awesome you made it from an old crate!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Absolutely love the salad! Am a great big fan of fennel and this creamy, cool, tangy dressing and the dash of sweet with the apple sounds delightful and so summery perfect! I am also in the middle of a huge cleanup but I am afraid my space will never be as pretty as yours.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh to have a whole corner of just 'my stuff'!
    Delicious looking salad.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love your inspired craft station, and you've made me want to get up and go & make myself one. It wont be long before I sort something out...thanks for the shove in the right direction! Gorgeous slaw too...fab photographs!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love fennel & apple together, what a beautiful light slaw.

    ReplyDelete