August 22, 2011

Spiced sweet potato brownies to celebrate 2 years of blogging!

It's been nearly two years since I started my blog and I thought it would be appropriate to bake a little treat to mark the occasion. Admittedly, I've spent more time in the kitchen during the past two years than probably ever before, and although it's been a bit of a game of hits and misses, I've enjoyed the most of it.

When I first started this blog, back in August 2009, I was writing in Finnish and I never thought I'd have any other readers than perhaps my own parents. As I started to mingle more with the other Sydney food bloggers, I realised that it would probably make more sense if I wrote in English, and I then changed the name of the blog to 'Scandi Foodie' (denoting my Finnish-Swedish heritage and in purpose of promoting Scandinavian food and culture).

I've felt proud to give a glimpse to the Scandinavian culture through my recipes and posts, and I hope I've been able to inspire and educate people on the way. These spiced sweet potato brownies are to all of you who've been so kind and supportive - I thank you so much! 

Spiced Sweet Potato Brownies
(Recipe adapted from Dan Lepard)

100g coconut oil (not liquid)
100g dark chocolate (70%)
200g cooked and mashed sweet potato
100g organic rapadura sugar*
2 large free-range eggs
2 teaspoons natural vanilla extract
100g whole spelt flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground clove
1/4 teaspoon ground bitter orange**
100g macadamias, chopped

*if you can't find rapadura sugar, use raw caster sugar instead

**ground bitter orange (pomeranssi, Citrus aurantium) is a common spice used in Scandinavian cooking. If you can't find this, replace with ground orange or mandarin peel, or try ground ginger for a slightly sharper taste.

1. Preheat oven to 180C and grease a square 18cm baking dish. 

2. Place the coconut oil and roughly chopped chocolate in a bowl. Heat the mixture in the microwave until just melted (do not let it boil!), but smooth. Alternatively, melt them in a saucepan on the stove. Set aside.

3. Beat the sweet potato and sugar in a separate bowl. Add the coconut and chocolate mixture, eggs and vanilla and beat until thick. 

4. In a separate bowl, mix the flour, baking powder and spices. Add this mixture into the wet ingredients, then fold everything together until smooth. Lastly fold in the macadamias.

5. Pour the batter into the prepared tin and bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or until firm to touch. Leave to cool on wire rack before cutting into squares.