August 30, 2011

Lunch in the sun - Ponzu dressed beets with quinoa


Is it spring yet? Almost! I'm quite thankful that here in Australia they like to count three months per season regardless of the weather. For me it's felt like spring for a good couple of weeks already - the sun is out, it's much greener everywhere and the flowers are starting to bloom. This is the best time of the year! 

To celebrate the beautiful day I took my lunch outside on the balcony and sat there munching on this tasty new favourite of mine whilst admiring my aspiring veggie garden. You've got to try this, and ponzu dressing is a must as it gives just the right kind of a tang to the sweet beets. I savoured this with some left-over crisp bread I made the other day, but you could use any bread you have, or leave it out completely.


Ponzu dressed beets with quinoa
(serves 2-4)

1 cup quinoa, cooked until tender
1 small fennel bulb, thinly sliced
5cm piece of leek, thinly sliced
bunch of beets (4 small ones), cooked until tender
1 tablespoon ponzu dressing*
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
drizzling of lemon juice
small handful of red crimson raisins

* I used ponzu shoyu, which combines yuzu and soy sauce. 

1. Combine the quinoa, fennel and leek in a large mixing bowl.

2. In a separate bowl, dress the cooked and sliced beets with extra-virgin olive oil and ponzu. Add the mixture in to the quinoa and add in the red raisins. Drizzle the salad with lemon juice and mix everything together. Serve room temperature or warm.

35 comments:

  1. What a colorful and healthy dish! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like the perfect way to enjoy your meal. Eating outdoors, admiring nature out on the balcony makes the food you eat all that much better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes, the weather has been quite lovely lately! What a great meal to welcome the sun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. A wonderful lunch! Healthy and really appetizing.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love beetroot but I still have to find quinoa in the shops here!! Diane

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous and fresh Maria! Love the dressing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stunning dish, Maria. This scattered over wild rocket would be wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would be so happy if spring arrived early for us this winter...but we'll see. Ponzu sounds like the perfect sauce with which to dress beets! Great salad!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fresh and colordful dish! Beets are in season in Sweden at the moment and I could probably eat them every day without getting tired. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kaunis ja ihanalta kuulostava annos,ja miten sattuikaan:minulla on tuota ponzu shoyua kaapissa....

    ReplyDelete
  11. A dish that's not dessert! Hallelujah! It might even tempt me to eat quinoa, okay, no not really. But the beets sound good! :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ponzu sounds like a great sauce for pairing with beets!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a healthy and colorful dish, Maria! This looks delicious and perfect for the end of summer... Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just back from a shoot in Italy and have loved spending time catching up on your blog! Going to make this beet dish tomorrow - been craving some good beets for a week or so!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fabulous recipe! And so beautiful :), Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have a bouquet of beets just waiting for this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You always make such a healthy food Maria! And everything is like a creation of art....really pretty! I love ponzu and it's one of my favorite condiments too. I love beets but never even thought mixing it with ponzu. You make such a great fusion with Japanese twist and I learn a lot from you all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Its so pretty it almost looks like a dessert :) the flavours sound amazing! I have to try this one to take to work

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looks fresh and delicious! Love the bright colour of beets.

    ReplyDelete
  20. If spring is not quite here yet, the splash of colour in this salad will definitely bring forward the spring experience :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Fantastic combo which will be immediately tried! SO original, yet at the same time, it reminds me a little of the 'Rosolje' [rossoli?] or 'Russian salad' which was in e'day repertoire way back when!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a gorgeous dish. Delicious too. It's so weird to think about Spring right now here in Seattle when our sorry summer is ending..... I'm glad your season is just beginning, however. Fresh foods!

    ReplyDelete
  23. How lovely and colourful, the perfect way to welcome in Spring, I feel :)
    Heidi xo

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow, what a beautiful mix of flavors! I never thought to mix fennel and beets, but thinking of each flavor, totally sounds perfect:-) Beautiful recipe:-) Take care, Terra

    ReplyDelete
  25. I loooove beets, red, candy stripe, orange. And ponzu. Be still my heart. Simply gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  26. MMM, you know how much I love beets, Maria. :) With ponzu, leeks, AND quinoa...? I have to try this soon.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love how you've combined flavors from different cuisines here...and it sounds like a wonderful combination at that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. loving the bright red colour of the beets!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Your recipes are so healthy and full of freshness, Maria! Love the creativity in your kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I will of course omit fennel since I am not quite a fan of it but otherwise it looks awesome and I will make such lunch for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh my how delicious everything looks like over here!

    ReplyDelete
  32. What a colourful lunch! I love the colour of beets!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thank you! this recipe looks soooo good :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Looks wonderful, so colourful.

    ReplyDelete