August 20, 2011

Kitchen Garden Update - Finally!


Guess what? Yes! It's finally time for my kitchen garden update!  As you may remember, my balcony got a make-over a few months ago (read more about it here). I've been anticipating the weather to warm up and the sun to reach my little balcony again so that I can plant a few seedlings and start redoing my garden that was so rudely battered by the cold winter rain and wind. I bought a few seedlings to get started - parsley, mint, rosemary, oregano and some lettuce. I'm also planning to sow seeds for some veggies in a couple of weeks' time.

Oregano and mint. The mint has braved winter and done really well!
I couldn't wait to drag my chair on the balcony, grab a book and just sit there enjoying my little green batch. The weather turned out perfect today, so I went to the markets this morning and stocked up olives and olive oil and bought some bits and pieces for my ever-growing junk collection. I love buying old fabrics, ribbons and cotton thread and just admire their bright colours.

Anyway, I thought I'd share these photos with you today. There will be many more kitchen garden photos to follow, I'm sure! Until then, I hope you're enjoying the weekend!

Rosemary is my favourite so I keep it in the kitchen too at all times.
Spring flowers to brighten up my balcony
And some bits and pieces I've collected from junk shops and markets... I'm dying to start sewing!

26 comments:

  1. Tuo keittiöpuutarhasi näyttää kyllä mielettömän ihanalta!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it. Fresh herbs are such a nice addition to a little kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lovely garden! Fresh hertbs are so wonderful.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love the looks of your garden, very cute and aye catching :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! Love your kitchen garden...I am using it as inspiration to make the most of my extremely tiny balcony! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a cheery sight! I have been contemplating to plant some herbs like basil and mint... but I doubt they can survive without water for 1 week or more when I travel...

    ReplyDelete
  7. so cute :) lovely little space. we treasure our outdoors spaces dont we? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks beautiful! My balcony is barren in comparison :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm totally depressed about my snow battered garden but reading this post has jolted me to get out there today and rescue what I can and start planting anew. Look forward to reading more about your garden soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have just remade my next week's list, tho' living in the Sthern Highlands I can afford to plant later. Thanks for the reminder. My rosemary is nearly a metre high and wide [yes, in a pot] and the oregano and various mints have also done well. Lemon thyme survived - could not live without that :). Love all the diff kinds of chives and have a long trough with coriander, at prime now! Actually I love potting var baby tomatoes: living alone you only need 4-5 for each salad! And do have to look up Johan Galtung!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so jealous! All my herbs have died and I've given up on them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How beautiful!! How I wish I had a kitchen garden :( I dream of picking fresh herbs from my own plant every time I cook!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful photos! I love your little reading spot on the balcony - it's so nice to be surrounded by flowers and herbs. Thanks for sharing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful! Having quick access to fresh herbs must be wonderful. I must start my own kitchen garden.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just love your kitchen garden! I would love to know where you got your pot labels from?

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've just started sewing with my new machine and I'm loving learning all the new features - so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the yellow flowers they really brighten up the balcony.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Its coming along so nicely :) I planted peas, capsicum, eggplant and zucchini but so far its just been the peas that has sprouted. I still have hope for the other though lol

    ReplyDelete
  19. Totally adorable! Enjoy and you will add more as time goes.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lovely photos, and those spring flowers are just gorgeous.

    If you treat your rosemary well, chances are you may have to transfer it to a bigger pot and, the ground, eventually. Our rosemary didn't like being in a pot very much but once we put it in the soil, it practically exploded, as if it's on steroids!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. My mint has done extremely well, too, this winter! Feel like a proud mummy. Can't wait to see some recipes from your garden

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love the photos of your kitchen garden. They are artistically shot and I believe you have a knack for it. I'm looking forward on your next update of your kitchen garden.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I just love these balcony garden! They look so great in a so tiny place like a balcony! I admire your work!keep it up!

    ReplyDelete