August 10, 2011

Carrot and macadamia muffins


I've always been big on home-made gifts. There have been quite a few of the not so great-looking ones, like the macaroni tree I spray painted with gold colour and gave to my granny as a Christmas present (she still has it) or the wooden box I planned to make from scratch, and fill with liquorice for my dad as a Father's Day gift. I say 'planned', because dad actually ended up finishing the box himself and all I did was buy the liquorice to fill it with. The box actually ended up looking great, but I can't say I had much input on it (other than perhaps the brainstorming bit).

I've never been much of a drawer or painter either, but that hasn't stopped me from making numerous birthday, Mother's/Father's Day and Christmas cards. One of them included a round card with a cotton moustache for dad, which obviously showcased my incredible creativity at such young age ;-)

Some people, as they grow older, realise and accept that perhaps they aren't the most talented when it comes to artistic things. They give up on trying to get better at whatever it is that they've tried to master during their earlier years, and claim that 'they just can't [fill with whatever it is that you think you can't do].' I guess this was in a way the case for me too, but it never stopped me from trying to get better at things I wasn't 'talented' at. Therefore I still keep drawing, crafting and even singing...


These carrot and macadamia muffins were a home-warming gift for our friends, and I crafted a little brown bag to put them in. Fortunately I had a left-over muffin that just wouldn't fit into the bag, so I could try one myself! ;-) They are just sweet enough, wholesome and tasty - not to mention healthy!

Carrot and macadamia muffins
(makes 8)
(recipe adapted from Wholefoods)

100g whole spelt flour
35g rapadura sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
2 large free-range eggs
130g finely grated carrot
100g unsweetened apple sauce (1/2 cup)
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup extra-virgin coconut oil, melted
1 teaspoon natural vanilla extract
100g chopped macadamias


1. Preheat oven to 180C and prepare a muffin tin.

2. Mix together the flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, soda and salt. Set aside.

3. In a separate bowl, lightly whisk the eggs, stir in the carrot, apple sauce, milk, coconut oil and vanilla. 

4. Stir half of the carrot mixture into the dry ingredients. Add the other half and stir just enough to mix everything together. Finally fold in the macadamias. 

5. Spoon the batter into the muffin tins and bake for 20-30 minutes. Cool on a wire rack before serving.

43 comments:

  1. There is nothing better than giving and receiving a homemade gift. When this new post notice popped up on my twitter, I had to tell you that I have carrot/coconut scones in the oven right now! Wish I would have had some macadamia nuts on hand. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well you're certainly good at cooking and baking! I'm a huge lover of all things handmade not matter what the outcome looks like :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of COURSE Granny still has the tree. It's one of those things that must be kept. :) Handmade gifts beat store bought ones any day. Especially when they have carrots and macadamias.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One fabulous combination! Homade gifts are wonderful.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love to craft even though I'm not very good at it, and that's ok. :) I also love muffins- carrot/macadamia sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. these look so good! im going to give them a try but with almond flour :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw, handmade gifts are always the best. I wish I was better at that too. I'm jealous of my husband who realizes he needs to get someone a gift and just goes out to his shop and makes something wonderful while I'm still thinking of ideas. Good for you for still doing things you enjoy :D Your muffins look delicious. I love macadamia nuts even though I don't get them often. So yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love handmade gifts, they do last a lifetime! Well...except food, like these beautiful muffins. I hand make cards and earrings, and everyone gets my shell angels at Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ok, now I need to hear you sing! I was once in a choir, of course before my voice broke!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum! Carrot and macadamia, I would have never thought of it!
    Your little brown bag is super cute too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love receiving homemade heartfelt gifts. The combination of ingredients in this muffin would make my day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These muffins look like a great gift! I love that they have macadamia nuts in them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Handmade and homemade - there is nothing better. I would like to be eating one of these muffins now - perfect with a good cuppa!

    ReplyDelete
  14. A beautiful house warming present. Nothing better than being able to plate up love and have it taste so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Two of my favorite loves! Carrot and Macadamia nuts, in muffin's, in cereal, okay maybe not the carrot in cold cereal but I'm open.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Homemade gift are great! I just love carrot muffins and I like when you have used macadamia nuts in these!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I was craving some carrot cake the other day, so these are really hitting the spot for me! Yum!! What a gorgeous house warming present.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very nice! I'll happily meet my daily intake of fruits, vegetables and nuts with these muffins. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. How lovely! You always make the most tasty and healthy treats. I also love your gift bag, can I ask where you got your red and white string? I have been looking everywhere for some. Another wonderful post :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've done carrots with walnuts, almost always and then carrots with pecan. This sounds like a great combination. Nothing like home made gifts!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love the combo. Never been done before in this household but will be doing now! I don't understand where you get all your background stuff for pictures! They just look so good. Maybe you should get a side job as a food photog! Just saying! !!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Especially love the adorable packaging!
    Best,
    Bernadette

    www.dettediscovers.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wonderful! I have been looking for a carrot muffin recipe and the fact that you use macadamia nuts is a bonus! I will definitely try these! : D

    ReplyDelete
  24. I tried a carrot muffin recipe that wasn't quite right earlier this year. This one looks perfect, so I'll give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love your drawing in the first pic :) Its so great to be creative. Keeps the mind active and is always a much more well received gift because of the effort :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I cannot put it better than Sherilyn:'handmade and homemade'! Of course I love giving and receiving handmade gifts most of all - those carrot and macadamia muffins make one's hand reach towards . . .

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh wow! I cannot wait to try these for myself!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh..wow how gorgeous the muffins look from inside! You are a real healthy baker I know in blogosphere, Maria.

    ReplyDelete
  29. nice...i like'it...looks like very delicious..

    ReplyDelete
  30. Divine! I love carrot muffins (and carrot cake) and macadamias are my favourite nuts! What a great combo. Tasty and healthy :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. That is such a sweet gift! I love the little brown bag :)
    Muffins look perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  32. My mom still has the macaroni Christmas ornament I made in kindergarten! It's...slightly embarrassing. I try to make homemade gifts also, but I stick to baked goods. These muffins look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  33. What a wonderful gift to receive! I love the cute paper bag you made, not to mention those delicious brownies.

    ReplyDelete
  34. What a beautiful inside of the muffin dotted with nuts.Love the bag you decorated.I m sure your friend would treasure this gesture!

    ReplyDelete
  35. These look great - I love the addition of buttery macadamias instead of walnuts! Glad you had a "chance" to try one ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  36. macadamia nuts are way too underused in my neck of the woods--they're delightful! great choice to pair with carrots in your muffins. :)

    ReplyDelete
  37. Beautiful recipe! I love the flavors! I always bring a homebaked gift wherever, whenever, because that is what I love to do and, yes, what I am best at. I must try this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Fantastic - another way with spelt flour & who wouldn't want healthy but delicious muffins :)

    ReplyDelete
  39. What an interesting combination but it sounds so good! Love the healthy bakery you always make!

    ReplyDelete
  40. These look divine! I have a very similar banana walnut muffin, and I love using the coconut oil in those as it adds such a great flavor and moistness, as I'm sure does here as well. Lovely flavor combination!

    ReplyDelete
  41. I love the gift bag you've made, will keep that in mind for Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  42. I just made these and they are delicious, i couldn't find any rapadura sugar so used coconut sugar instead. Yummo, thanks once again.

    ReplyDelete