July 13, 2011

Whipped Cranberry Porridge


It's the quick and simple treats that attract me the most. Those that you can whip up in a matter of a few minutes, using the ingredients you already have at hand. I admire those who can spend ages decorating a cake or making delectable desserts that require much patience and skills. I have neither, so I've always thought of myself as more of a rustic, casual, country-cook. Well I am a country-girl at heart and I think it'll always show in my cooking.


Whipped lingonberry porridge is one of the first things I always ask my mum to make when I go back home to Finland. I have loved this treat for as long as I can remember and it's one of the dishes I most miss from home. Along with rye bread, quark, wild berries and squeaky cheese, whipped lingonberry porridge is definitely on the top 5 of my favourite Finnish foods.

Now, there is an obvious lack of frozen lingonberries here in Sydney - so far I haven't found any. The second best option for those wanting to make any lingonberry dishes is, in my opinion, to use frozen cranberries that tend to be more widely available. I wouldn't use lingonberry cordial to make this as they are too sugary and won't give the same taste nor colour.

This whipped cranberry porridge is just as soft, fluffy and sour as it is supposed to be and served with a dash of milk it's the best I can get here in Australia.


 Whipped Cranberry Porridge
(serves 2)

250g frozen cranberries
750ml water
65g semolina
1 tablespoon rapadura sugar

1. Place the cranberries and water into a saucepan and bring the mixture to boil. Let simmer for 20-30 minutes, then drain through a sieve preserving the liquid and saving the berry mash for a later use. 

2. Return the cranberry juice into the saucepan and add enough water to make up to 750 ml. Bring the liquid to boil then gradually sprinkle in the semolina, whisking continuously. 

3. Simmer the porridge for 15-20 minutes, whisking every now and then and adding a dash of water if necessary. The porridge can be quite thick. Add the sugar in at the last stage, stir it in and take the saucepan off the heat.

4. Place the saucepan in a sink filled with cold water. Leave to cool, then beat with electric beaters until light and fluffy. Serve the porridge at room temperature or cold with a dash of milk.