July 04, 2011

Sweet roasted vegetables with dried fruit


Roasted vegetables must be one of the the most reliable crowd-pleasers during autumn and winter months. Because they are so easy to adapt, I think they make an ideal meal for a family of picky eaters, or a couple like us where the other one prefers all veggies and the other one more meat on the dinner plate. Nonetheless, roasted veggies on their own, or served with creamy feta, grated hard-boiled egg or toasted nuts, is certainly a wholesome meal for a vegetarian, but also makes a lovely side dish for fish or meat.

This particular recipe has a little twist to the original favourite. The seasonal veggies get an added boost from some dried fruit and a killer dressing that combines orange and lemon juice with raw honey, fresh ginger and verjuice. Speaking of which, I've been totally addicted to verjuice since our trip to Barossa Valley in South Australia, and it certainly makes wonders to this dish as well!


 Sweet roasted vegetables with dried fruit
(Recipe inspired by Terry Walters' Clean Start)

1 medium sized sweet potato, peeled
1 large parsnip, peeled
2 carrots, peeled
2 onions, peeled
small handful (5-6) prunes, pitted
small handful dried wild Persian figs

juice of 1 orange
juice and zest of 1/2 lemon
2 tablespoons verjuice
1 heaped tablespoon raw honey
knob of fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
1 teaspoon sea salt
small pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
1 teaspoon potato starch

1. Preheat the oven to 200C. 

2. Cut the sweet potato, parsnip and carrots into 2 centimetre chunks. Cut the onion into wedges and place all vegetables into a large oven dish.

3. Toss in the prunes and the figs. 

4. For the dressing, whisk the orange juice, lemon juice and peel, verjuice, honey and finely chopped ginger in jug. Season the dressing with sea salt and nutmeg and whisk in the potato starch. Pour the smooth dressing evenly on to the vegetables.

5. Roast the vegetables in the oven for about 40-45 minutes tossing them in between to coat with dressing. Cover the dish with a lid (or foil) for the first 20 minutes to avoid burning. Serve with creamy feta, toasted nuts or grated hard-boiled egg as a main meal or on its own as a side dish.


37 comments:

  1. Love this, looks so healthy and tasty. Loving verjuice too at the moment. It really brings something special to a dish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. simple & healthy ! looks delicious :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really wintry and we are in the midst of summer here in the UK, but somehow your photos make me want to eat this anyway! Thanks for another great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very healthy and so enjoyable!

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting...I will try this or nearly this :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. yummm!

    and i saw your bread pics on both FG and TS. Or maybe it was also tasteologie? I know I saw at least a couple of the food sites accept your pic...as they should! have :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks terrific! Love the addition of dried fruit

    ReplyDelete
  8. I roast veges all the time but I've never added dried fruit to it. You come up with the best ideas Maria!

    ReplyDelete
  9. love the idea of roasting dry fruits with vegetables! Feta looks so good on it :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovin the look of this- the colours would definitely be the "ooooh aaaa' at the table. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like roasted vegetables a lot, healthy and so good!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this! I love making this and adding sriracha as well! I love that you added ginger and honey, so good! Thanks for sharing Maria!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is such a healthy and nutritious veggie treat!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So glad I came across your blog! Beautiful pictures and recipes. Being a Scandi Foodie living abroad too, I really enjoyed reading your texts!

    ReplyDelete
  15. One of my favourite simple dishes is roasted vegetables. It's interesting that you added dried fruits to it. I'll try it next time.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It doesn't get much better than a plateful of roasted veggies! Love the addition of the dried fruits here!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is my idea of complete deliciousness. I happen to love the combination of savoury with fruit, its very Moroccan, but I don't do it much because Mr P isn't that keen.
    *kisses* HH

    ReplyDelete
  18. This looks wonderful. I've got a friend who would just adore this. I'm sending her a link...

    ReplyDelete
  19. This looks great.. i was actually just thinking that roast vegies are great if you throw in some nuts as well, just for the texture.. like chestnuts maybe? What is verjuice??

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've never roasted vegetables with dried fruit, sounds delicious. When winter comes back around my way, I will certainly be roasting them this way!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Fantastic recipe - I've never thought of dressing my roast vegetables in anything other than oil and maybe some herbs. I like the citrus idea to cut through that sweetness. Will definitely try this at the weekend's roasties. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sounds delicious, and I love all of the colors! Roasted veggies are one of my favorites. Hope you're having a lovely 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is my absolute fav way to prepare veggies! These look lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  24. This looks like such a hearty meal with healthy vegetables.I love the first picture- so colorful

    ReplyDelete
  25. this looks amazing, i will try a variation of this!

    ReplyDelete
  26. btw how much verjuice did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love vegetables so much and the idea of adding some dried fruits is a brilliant one!

    ReplyDelete
  28. What an interesting way to enjoy roast vegetables. I love roast vegetable but would never have thought of adding dried fruit. What a great idea! I will try this.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh I love roast veg! Great in winter but such a nostalgic dish that its really great any time. Love the addition of fetta for a touch of freshness :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Your household sounds like mine - I only eat vegetables, and the boy wants one meat with his veggies. And roasted vegetables are so nice, so little clean up too.
    With the dried fruits, it must be wonderful. I'll have to try this soon.

    ReplyDelete
  31. What a great spin on roasted veg...love it!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I actually love roasted veggies so much that I make them year-round! That dressing and the dried fruit are the perfect ways to spruce them up!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Mmm, roasted vegetables are do delicious and comforting to me. Delicious! Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters

    ReplyDelete
  34. Maria, I always love the simplicity of your food. It's really beautiful but I love how you bring out the natural flavors of the ingredients instead of covering up with spices or sauce. Back to basic. Good ingredients taste better with minimal seasonings!

    ReplyDelete
  35. This is right up my alley. I love roasted veggies and dried fruits. Its the sweet/savory thing that always gets me.

    ReplyDelete