July 20, 2011

Rosemary roasted almonds


Are you a snacker or do you prefer sticking to three meals a day? I gotta say I would love to be more of the latter, but I definitely fall into the snack-person category. I am always hungry, and whether it's due to the fact that I get quite a bit of exercise or that I prefer eating smaller meals, I love to snack. Anything from raw veggies to nuts, seeds and dried fruit is on top of my snacking list, but lately, with the cool weather hitting Sydney, I've found comfort in warmer snacks.


That is exactly why this particular treat is my favourite - warm roasted almonds dressed in delicious rosemary and olive oil. It makes a perfect antipasti too, and you could easily use walnuts or any of your favourite nuts for this. Try adding garlic and dried chilli flakes in the mix as well, they are fabulous in this! And the ultimate snack alongside with this one? Roasted rosemary. You gotta try it - it's simply delicious!


Rosemary roasted almonds
(Recipe adapted from Melissa Kelly)

1 cup raw almonds
few sprigs of fresh rosemary
 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, finely chopped, extra
2 tablespoons good extra-virgin olive oil
pinch of sea salt
freshly ground black pepper


1. Preheat the oven to 180C.

2. Place the almonds on a roasting tray with a few sprigs of rosemary and roast for 10-15 minutes or until the nuts are browned. Be careful not to burn them!

3. Place the nuts in a bowl with the finely chopped rosemary and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and toss well to coat. Serve with the roasted rosemary as a quick snack or as antipasti.