July 03, 2011

Rosemary, olive and feta horns


Horns? What horns? Don't they look like a rustic version of croissants? Well, I suppose they do, in a very remote way, but I wouldn't dare calling them croissants when the only similarity is the shape. In fact, I think I would get hate-mail from all the Frenchies out there (including my dear brother who is well on his way in turning in to one) dared I call these croissants. Thus, in Finland, we call them 'horns', and they can be savoury or sweet, often filled with ham, cheese or jam. My mum used to make the softest cheese horns and occasionally sweet jam horns, filled with raspberry or strawberry jam.


I've filled these whole spelt horns with a tasty mixture of kalamata olives, fresh rosemary and feta cheese. I love the salty filling inside the wholemeal pastry. These little bundles are a perfect thing to pack along for your winter (or summer, depending on what side of the globe you are) picnic, instead of traditional rolls or filled sandwiches. Wholemeal spelt flour works really well, but you can use wholemeal (normal) flour just as well.


Rosemary, olive and feta horns
(makes 12-14)

1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, finely chopped
50g kalamata olives, pitter and roughly chopped
50g feta cheese, roughly chopped

400ml milk (low-fat is fine)
11g dry yeast
400-500g whole spelt flour (organic, biodynamic)
1 large, free-range egg
50ml olive oil
1 teaspoon sea salt

1. Combine the rosemary, olives and feta cheese in a bowl. Set aside.

2. Pour the milk into a large mixing bowl and warm it up in the microwave until warm (about 50 seconds on high). The milk should be about 42C for dry yeast.

3. Mix the dry yeast into about 100 grams of flour, then whisk the mixture into the milk. Cover the bowl with a clean tea towel and place in a warm (but not hot) spot for about 15 minutes. In this time the mixture should be bubbly and frothy.

4. Break the egg into a bowl and whisk it lightly with a fork. Save the other half of the egg for later. Pour half of the egg into the yeast mixture. Then add the oil and the salt and half of the flour. Mix well to combine.

5. Keep adding flour and kneading the dough until it's soft and doesn't stick to your hand. Place the dough on a clean surface dusted with flour and roll the dough into a narrow, 1-2 centimetre thick disk.

6. Cut the disk into triangles and place one tablespoon of the olive filling onto each triangle. Roll the triangles from the broad side down (towards the tip) into horn shaped rolls. Place the rolls (leaving enough space between each roll) onto baking sheets covered with baking paper and cover the sheets with a tea towel. Leave to rise for about 30-40 minutes (depending on the temperature and the flour you are using this time may vary between 20-40 minutes. The well risen roll should be soft to touch.)

7. While the rolls are rising, preheat the oven to 225C.

8. Brush the rolls with the remaining egg, then bake the horns for 15 minutes or until golden. Cool on a wire rack (covered with a tea towel) and serve warm.


44 comments:

  1. Oh, they look absolutely marvelous! I'd love to have a few of those for brunch. The dough must be very tasty.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  2. This more hearty (croissant-ishy shaped) horns are right up my alley. I love any bread that is heartier and bulkier rather than buttery and flaky. The fillings sound delicious. I would even like to try them with goat cheese inside. I probably say that because I just had pizza with goat cheese tonight and it was SO good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are fantastic, My mom will go crazy over these!I am so making her these next time I go home!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeast baking is probably my biggest love. I do want to try these for a lazy Sunday morning up here in Brisbane one day. They look so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the combination! These would be so awesome for brunch or a late night snack ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks like a croissant, but much more healthier, esp with spelt flour. I had an awesome sandwich in Bris today turkey on oat wheat, with spicy tomat sauce, low cal and delish, I wish I had one of these to go with.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Call them whatever you want...I'd like to call them delicious! Love this idea Maria and I def love that filling too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the idea of calling them horns- leave room for interpretation! Regardless these look absolutely delicious- and I love the many variations!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh that combination of flavor is soo great! Love that you are using biodynamic flour as well:) yey!

    ReplyDelete
  10. sounds delicious! beautiful pictures once again Maria!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These do look superb. Perfect for a picnic on a clear winters day is what i am thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I fell in love with your photography and recipes a longgg time ago, so perfect! These little rolls look dangerously moorish, i can only imagine how delicious they must be warm from the oven :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sometimes croissants are good, sometimes one needs something lighter and healthier but still as tasty and flavorful. These horns look relly good, and the savory filling is very tempting, perfect finger food for a buffet!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bongasin blogin tastespottingin kautta ja laitoin heti kirjanmerkkeihin, ihana lukea juttuja Suomesta vähän eri näkökulmasta!
    Pakko kysyä, miten hyvin spelttiä on ulkomailla, esim. siellä ausseissa, saatavilla. Oon itse muuttamassa joksikin aikaa Ranskaan ja oon pohdiskellut joudunko luopumaan speltistä kun en tiedä miten paljon sitä viljellään tai myydään muualla..

    ReplyDelete
  15. Upeat kuvat! Very beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Maria, I love all of your baked recipes! They sound healthy AND tasty which is exactly what I'm looking for. Thank you for all the beautiful inspirations.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I would love to have these baking in my oven right now!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the combination of flavours in these horns! Rosemary, olives and feta.. sounds amazing Maria. These are no buttery croissants no, they may look alike but horns are definitely much healthier. Love that!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a delicious recipe! I love the combo of olives and feta, super yum :)!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've had something similar, but I think it was called a 'Swedish tea ring' and the inside was lined with sugar, cinnamon and raisins. It was baked then covered with lemon icing and toasted flaked almonds. It looked like a massive almond croissant. Many a birthday was celebrated with this in my house. Thanks for reminding me!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Those are so cute! The filling looks so delicious even though I don't usually like olives. I think those horns would be fabulous filled with anything :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you all for your comments!

    Anonymous: Spelttia on hyvin saatavilla ainakin taalla Ausseissa ja uskoisin etta myos Ranskassa. Usein erikoisempia jauhoja loytyy luontaistuotekaupoista, mutta Ranskan tapaisessa leipakulttuurin maassa spelttia luulisi olevan laajemminkin saatavilla. Kerro toki miten sen kanssa kay ja onnea muuttoon!

    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  23. These look so pretty..I love the brown hues in your pictures..love the combo of flavors in the filling!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm from Portugal and I luv your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love your filling combination! They certaintly are nothing like croissants. The cheese version would be wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  26. These I could not resist; for one they contain olives, my favorite food in the world, bread dough, and feta. Can be dangerous at my house~

    ReplyDelete
  27. Seeing this post take me back! My Mum used to make delicious horns with strawberry jam and cream. I had completely forgotten about them.

    Your savoury version looks amazing. I've never tried a savoury one. Thanks for sharing and reviving old memories :D

    ReplyDelete
  28. These look and sound gorgeous! I love your photos too. What sort of camera do you use?

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a perfect combination of flavours! Looks amazing

    ReplyDelete
  30. Mmmm, you had me at olives!
    Delish Maria!
    C x

    ReplyDelete
  31. I bet these smelt divine coming out of the oven. Love your pics and flavour combination :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. These look so beautiful! And with the olives inside - what a treat!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Oh I am totally in love with these!! I also covet the blue & white jug in the background... :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. These look so tasty! I kind of like the 'horn' version better than a croissant =)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Gorgeous and healthy and I know they delicious too! Can't wait to make! You've done it again!! XO's
    ~Juliane of www.StyleNectar.com

    ReplyDelete
  36. Oh my, what beautiful horns they are!! So creative, I love the look of them. Delicious!
    Heidi xo

    ReplyDelete
  37. How beautiful!!! Nice savory ingredients in the horn!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Oh these sound delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  39. these are all kinds of fun, maria. i like the way they look and i LOVE the filling!

    ReplyDelete