July 22, 2011

Rainy days - Yoghurt Spelt Bread

Once it starts to rain here in Sydney, it rains and rains and rains ... and rains. On the first day the rain is alright, kinda nice when you wake up in your warm bed and hear the rain drops drumming against the window. You go back to sleep thinking it's ok to sleep a bit longer because it's such a lousy weather.

On the second day you check the weather forecast thinking - 'how much longer is this rain going to continue for?', and you go for a morning run despite the rain, get absolutely soaked, but think 'man, it was worth it!'

Third day... 'I'm so over the rain - will you stop already?!'

And so I've painted, cleaned, re-decorated, sewed, knitted, twitted, planned a bathroom makeover, planned a whole home makeover, browsed every magazine I have, bookmarked a million pages for DIY projects, and spent a bit of time in the kitchen. This quick yoghurt spelt bread is best savoured with a big cup of tea on a rainy day like this.




Yoghurt Spelt Bread
(Recipe adapted from Kodin Kuvalehti)

500 g pot-set natural yoghurt (low-fat is fine)
1 tablespoon treacle or dark syrup
1 teaspoon salt (I use Maldon)
11g dry yeast
400-500 g whole spelt flour (organic, biodynamic)
50 g brown flaxseed meal
100 g pepitas + a little extra for topping 
50 ml extra-virgin olive oil

1. Place the yoghurt in a large bowl and warm it in the microwave until about 42C (feels warm to touch). Stir in the treacle and the salt. Mix the dry yeast in to a small amount of flour and stir the mixture in as well.

2. Stir in the flaxseed meal and the pepitas. Knead in enough flour for the dough to unstick your hand and feel soft. Lastly knead in the oil. Leave the dough to rise, covered, until doubled in size.

3. Knead the risen dough on a lightly floured surface to remove the air pockets. Flatten the dough with a rolling pin to fit a 30 cm x 40 cm oven tray (lined with a baking paper). Place the dough on the tray, cover with a tea towel and leave to rise for a further 30-40 minutes. Brush the bread with water and sprinkle the extra pepitas on top.

4. Preheat the oven to 180C. 

5. Bake the bread for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack before serving.

26 comments:

  1. I can totally relate to the rain overdose! It's exactly the same in my home town too... Here it pours continuously for months!!and it gets old very soon :(
    I made a big batch of guava fudge/halwa (which happens to be my next blog post) as there really nothing else you can do on a rainy day other than sit in front of a stove and stir!! lol..
    Bread looks beautiful! I miss my oven once again... can't wait to bake some bread :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My boyfriend loves making bread - makes at least 3 loaves a week in his breadmaker - and he adores hearty, rustic breads like these. I hope the sun comes out for you soon, but I am sure the plants and flowers are happy! ;) I really miss relaxing inside on rainy days...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yup, I'm well and truly over this rain. This is such an interesting bread, lovely flavours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know Monsoon in India is exactly the same way.. first day you just love it .. and then you just want it to stop and take a break. Now that I am in US, I miss that monsoon :)
    I have never come across spelt yet but this bread looks lovely and baking on a rainy day could be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds really delicious...and nutritious.
    I've only had spelt bread once, and it was as hard as rock, scared me a bit I guess. Yours, on the other hand, looks nice and airy. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice clicks! I really like that second shot.

    That bread looks really good and so flavorful! I'd love tho serve it with cream cheese and smoked salmon...

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, just stumblin up here.
    Awesome collection of Scandinavian recipes. This for one is definitely the typical bread that'd make me smile and imagine how it'd be like to visit the Scandinavia(I haven't been..).
    It'd be awesome with a cup of fresh mint tea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks really lovely! My kind of bread. I'll definitely be bookmarking this one...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a very yummy bread. Hope the rain will stop soon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. so interesting. i love the new ingredients i am not used to and it looks delicious! rain or shine!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds really flavorful. I love bread of this type. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  12. We´ve had quite a bit of rain in Sweden this summer as well. I'm also getting a wee bit sick of it but there´s not that much to do about it... This bread looks like a wonderful way of making the day better. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I had rain a few weeks ago that was never ending (or so it seemed); now the sun is shining and the heat is pounding! Your bread looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'd love to have a rainy day to enjoy this bread. (In fact, I'm completely jealous of your rain! It's much too hot and dry here.) The bread looks delicious with the pepitas.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Where I lived most of my life growing up it rained constantly. I actually love the rain, but as long as there's a break in between to get out and do things! The pepitas look so yummy on top of your bread :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yay for spelt flour! It's fun seeing you bake with all these interesting flours, which I love. Here in the U.S. spelt is becoming more popular, but most people still don't use it at home. Looks yum!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds like you are having some NZ weather...my garden is sodden! This bread sounds delicious...and thinking I will give it a go tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I would hate to be a Wallabie in Homebush tonight playing in this rain!!!
    Yummy bread

    ReplyDelete
  19. We could sure use some opf that rain over here. This bread looks wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love all three pictures, especially the second one!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the way you modify and 'modernize' your Finnish recipes. Haven't made bread awhile, but this looks like one which cannot be bought in a shop, almost jumps off the page into one's mouth and will make one feel 100% virtuous! Here we go . . .

    ReplyDelete
  22. That looks like a lovely bread with an ancient grain with treacle giving it a nice malty taste. I know what you mean about the rain, it has been like that here in Auckland too but finLly managed to get out in the surf this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  23. It was a hell of a lot of rain wasn't it.
    Now this bread is very timely. I just got a batch of spelt and always have yogurt on the go- definitely to go on my bready list.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Yum! It looks perfect for the recent weather. I must admit, I bought new wellies so didnt mind the rain so much. I felt 8 years old again jumping in puddles haha

    ReplyDelete
  25. that's not possible, we had a week of rain to and we live on the other side of the world...must try your recipe to get rid of our rainy blues.

    ReplyDelete