July 12, 2011

Pomegranate Glögg


It was another sunny winter weekend here in Sydney. We spent Sunday in the northern parts of the town, lunching and visiting my partner's parents. This is my favourite part of Sydney and I never get tired of the beautiful beaches and the scenery there. I could have spent the whole day outside, taking photos and enjoying the sunny weather. I certainly enjoy this temperature much more than the heat in summer!


 
A glögg is a perfect hot drink to have on a cool winter's day. I've chosen rather untraditional ingredient of pomegranate, but you could happily use frozen lingonberry, cranberry or black currants instead. The spices give this drink a warm hum without making it too strong, and a bit of rapadura sugar makes the glögg sweet as it should be.


Pomegranate Glögg
(serves 2)

250g frozen pomegranate seeds
2 cups water
1 cinnamon stick
knob of fresh ginger
5-7 cardamom pods
3-5 cloves
1 star anise
1 tablespoon rapadura sugar


1. Place all ingredients in a saucepan, bring to boil and let simmer for 20 minutes. 
2. Drain the mixture through a sieve into 2 mugs. Serve hot.