June 18, 2011

Seasonal Recipe Guide - Autumn and Winter


Hi all,

I wanted to make another 'round-up' post, this time focusing on seasonal recipes. Being such a large continent, Australia has many different climates and thus some produce can be in season all year round. The interesting and also somewhat confusing fact is that some of the produce follows the same seasons as the northern hemisphere and some are the complete opposite.

Here are some of my favourite seasonal recipes for autumn and winter. Seasonal eating is the best kind and here in Australia it is a necessity as most fruit and vegetables are domestically produced. Eating seasonal produce is, however, not only economical but also a tastier option. Opt for local produce as well, if you can.

I love autumn and winter for the simple reason that the cooler months call for warm comfort food. This doesn't have to mean heavy meals, however, as soups and healthy salads can be just as comforting and satisfying. In desserts I adore the citrus flavours and there is no better time to enjoy them than in winter. Hope you can find something you like amongst the recipes below! There will be more seasonal recipe guides in the future and no doubt one for spring and summer as well.



1. Roasted chestnuts with lentils and goat cheese
2. Roasted brussels sprout and walnut salad
3. Roasted quince and wheat berry
4. Red cabbage and apple salad with mandarin dressing
5. Savoy cabbage rolls with golden chanterelle and brown rice filling
6. Orange flavoured roasted pumpkin with lentils
7. Pan fried pumpkin with pepitas and grated eggs
8. Beetroot orzotto
9. Roasted cauliflower with lentils
10. Celeriac remoulade

1. Roasted capsicum soup and Finnish scones
2. Leek, broccoli and pea soup
3. Rustic tomato soup
4. Wild mushroom soup
5. Creamy roasted chestnut and quinoa soup

1. Potato and rutabaga tarts
2. Chestnut cakes
3. Quince and ginger crumble with vanilla sauce
4. Quince, pear and apple cake
5. Chestnut and apple crumble
6. Pumpkin, almond and mandarin cookies
7. Layered Meyer lemon yoghurt dessert
8. Citrus ricotta pancakes with mint sugar and vanilla balsamic
9. Lemon custard tart
10. Oven baked fruit with Finnish buttermilk cheese

28 comments:

  1. I love this post. Very clever.
    I have been a long time lover of your blog- your photography especially always keeps me wanting more!
    Today I bought myself a Mac- and photoshop yay- so fingers crossed, one day mine look as professional as yours :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. An awesome roundup! Those recipes will come in handy in a few months... ;-P

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic round up! And since summer in the UK is not too dissimilar to winter down under (!) the recipes will probably be just as relevant for me too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous photo and wonderful round up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting round-up. Are you planning to make them? Your photos are awesome, including those from S. Australia. BTW I am from the South Pacific, living in Sweden. We are almost the opposite. I should do I Scandinavian menu roundup:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. love the roundup and that photo! the colors are just so gorgeous and it's like looking at the rainbow in autumn-toned hues..so pretty it almost looks fake :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is increasingly apparent to me that I was meant to live in a place where fall is year-round. All of these sound wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely round and beautiful photographs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so useful, I'm always confused about what's in season!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those trees are so beautiful! I'm suddenly reminded of how much I love fall :) I love it for the food too, that list looks so yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh..I am in love with that last picture :) Awesome click, Maria! Thanks for the extensive foodie list, will be really helpful..

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am already waiting for your summer list. (I'm bookmarking this for next autum).
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great idea, its hard for me to get my mind around the seasonal produce now i always shop at markets. i tried (and posted) your beetroot orzotto the other day, it was yummy and i froze the leftovers in a ice cube tray as my baby loves it :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aw... Fall is so beautiful and so calming. This is a great round up and absolutely love the photo of the bench against the autumn foliage.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely scenaries! I love the colors of autumn on the trees!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful, Maria! I will bookmark this one so I can reference back in a few months when we hit Autumn again :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a lovely and comprehensive list of dishes, Maria. Everything looks wonderful and I plan to work my way through those recipes when I have a bit more time. In the interim, I've bookmarked this post for safe keeping. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  18. first of all, big big grats on the engagement!! :D and this is a really nice summary of recipes for winter. i love how you always cook fresh, seasonal produce. keep up the good work :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thats an awesome & really yummy collection of recipes in one place! I have already bookmarked a few!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Seriously my favorite seasons and flavors are captured in this post. Each and everyone of your recipes delight the senses :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. If only for the amazing produce, I would love to visit Australia some day. Many of the fruits and veg are specialty items in the States, and some are not available at all. Hopefully they make it here, or we make it there! Looking forward to those Autumn colors, smells, sounds as well.

    Cheers,

    *Heather*

    ReplyDelete
  22. Even though it's Summer here in the US, I still get excited thinking about the Fall produce. Your recipes are simply amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  23. You actually made me crave Fall; we are in the beginning of what is looking to be a very hot NYC Summer.

    ReplyDelete
  24. A great array of wonderful treats ~ have bookmarked your lemon custard tart :)
    US Masala

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your pictures are just so very lovely! And I'm drooling over those amazing recipes (especially the soups at the moment). :), Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters

    ReplyDelete
  26. I really love the picture of the foliage...I miss foliage in Japan as I can't see much here in warm California. :-) This list of recipe is awesome! Thanks for sharing Maria.

    ReplyDelete
  27. AMAZING photographs! Also these recipes looks so delicious.
    Especially the Lemon custard tart ... ((-:

    By the way THANK YOU soooOOO much for stopping by I truly appreciate it your visit to my site.

    Sending positive energy on your path! =(^.^)=

    ReplyDelete