June 29, 2011

Rhubarb, walnut and chia muffins - A guest post for Scullery Made Tea


The humble muffin. So versatile, so faithful and so so comforting. When Cherie from Scullery Made Tea suggested we'd do a recipe swap on our blogs I knew I could rely on muffins to deliver a recipe that people across the blogosphere would love. This recipe is not only trustworthy, it is also simple to adapt to seasons - try apples, pears or berries instead of rhubarb or substitute walnuts with your favourite nut. Chia seeds add another dimension of healthiness to these muffins, but you could also use flaxseed meal or wheat germ, if you prefer.


Needless to say home-baked muffins also make a perfect weekend breakfast treat that makes the weekend mornings feel just a little bit more special. If you are highly organised, you can prep most of this recipe ready the night before and then all you need to do the following morning is to mix everything together and bang the muffin tray into the oven. Simple, yet it makes you feel like you are on top of things ;-)


Rhubarb, walnut and chia muffins
(Makes 12 big muffins)
(Recipe adapted from Nigella Lawson’s ‘Feast’)

220g raw caster sugar or rapadura sugar
50 ml olive oil
2 teaspoons natural vanilla extract
1 large, free-range egg
250ml buttermilk (or 250ml milk + 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice)
175 g rhubarb, cut into 1 cm dice
75g walnuts, roughly chopped
300g white spelt flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
30g chia seeds

Topping

2 tablespoons rapadura sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1. Preheat oven to 200C and prepare a 12-cup muffin tin.

2. Mix the sugar, olive oil, vanilla, egg and buttermilk in a large mixing bowl.

3. Stir in the rhubarb and the walnuts.

4.  Combine the flour, baking powder, bicarb soda and chia seeds in a small bowl.

5. Sprinkle the dry ingredients over the rest of the batter and fold everything together quickly until just blended.

6. Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin tin and sprinkle each muffin with the sugar and cinnamon mixture.

7. Bake the muffins in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes. Serve warm.


This recipe was first published in Beyond the Scullery.

48 comments:

  1. I have been dying to use chia seeds; but I had no idea how to use them. I am most certainly going to make these! Perfect for the weekend- or anytime for that matter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look very special and I am definitely planning to make them this weekend

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! I love how the cinnamon sugar looks on top :) I've been experimenting with spelt in baking lately because I'm very new to it and I should be getting some with my grain csa later in the year. I even have rhubarb in the fridge so I should give these a try. They look so yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mm these look scrumptious, Maria! I'm hoping to make some rhubarb muffins myself later this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow .. this is such a fantastic muffin recipe. I love to bake muffins :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely scrumptious! Perfect with a cup of tea.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  7. Asa lover of rhubarb these are right up my alley! I like how you used spelt flour here too. Nice with a cuppa Maria!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look and sound amazing! The photos are gorgeous. Oh how I love muffins. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just noticed some bread the other day that was described as "Chia bread". I was curious about it and now here you have "chia" muffins. Its time to figure out this new ingredient! Beautiful photos, Maria!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The muffins are looking amazing!

    And maybe I am just in the dark, but did you change your header? It looks new! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh deliciousness,,,rhubarb & all the goodness of spelt & chia...makes them almost virtuous surely! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh my gosh - you are so amazing! And I LOVE your new header! did you design it?

    ReplyDelete
  13. The humble muffin made great in your hands :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Deliciously good looking muffins! Loving the flavors--I just made a rhubarb recipe too for a guest post... great to be in the same season :)

    Hugs,

    Aldy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Agree, muffins are just the perfect little treat and are so simple to make!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can not get enough wonderful muffin recipes; they are my favorite breakfast treat!

    ReplyDelete
  17. These appeal a lot. All those ingredients say 'yes please'.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my, Maria! The first photo is just stunning!
    I really dropped my jaw. Truly.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I really like chia seeds but haven't yet cooked or baked with them. Great recipe Maria and I love the round cooling rack-very Donna Hay :D

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hello, I like the recipe but find it hard to get the chia seeds. Would you think of any replacement? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful photos... Every single photo of yours make me want to grab a muffin right now! I am getting addicted to muffins too.. i love how versatile they are! They make perfect snacks for my entire family!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. These are great and I love the addition of the chia seeds.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Such beautiful muffins! What a great use for chia seeds!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love the composition of your photos, really enchanting, and dont even get me started on the recipe! Sounds divinnee

    ReplyDelete
  25. i have never thought of using rhubarb in muffins. clever idea and full of flavor. definitely trying these out soon

    ReplyDelete
  26. love the idea of a post swap! and your rhubarb muffins looks so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  27. These muffins look great. I'm really into muffins lately because The Daughter can feed them to herself, which is the only way she'll eat anything these days. Anyway, when I first saw "chia" in the post title i thought, "This has to be a typo..." Then I read the recipe and remembered seeing somewhere that chia seeds were edible. This looks like a great use for them!

    ReplyDelete
  28. These muffins look so delicious.Never seen rhubarb in muffins..great idea A wonderful guest post!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Ahh these muffins look delicious and healthy too! I LOVE the new header by the way, very summery!! Getting sick of winter? :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Nigella's recipe is one I've done time and time again - I love the sound of this variation and your photographs make them look really tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love Nigella's recipes. They are always so good and these muffins look amazing. I love the combination of rhubarb and walnut, and love the addition of chia. I add chia to some of my muffin recipes too.

    Stunning photos! Simply gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Beautiful, healthy and they look delicious - what a wonderful muffin recipe! Love the new look of your site too.

    ReplyDelete
  33. This sounds incredible, I am in love with rhubarb.

    ReplyDelete
  34. That last photo is stunning Maria. These muffins sound delicious and such a perfect and healthy breakfast treat.
    Love your new look, your blog is just beautiful!
    Natasha xo

    ReplyDelete
  35. Oh this is a keeper. I have never baked with spelt flour before but have always wanted to and I think I will start with this :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. OMG! These look scrumptious! My vacation begins soon and these for breakie will be the perfect way for me to start my lazy summer days...

    ReplyDelete
  37. WOW WOW WOW.... beautiful and looks so special. I love coming here. Never get disappointed. Fabulous recipe Maria!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Those muffins look and sound terrific. I've never had chia, interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Those muffin's look fabulous! Fantastic photos too!

    ReplyDelete
  40. This is definitely perfect timing because I just bought my first package of chia seeds! These are definitely being made soon!

    ReplyDelete
  41. I've just recently started using chia seeds and they're my new favorite thing. These muffins sound so good with them and with rhubarb!

    ReplyDelete
  42. I love how I always feel inspired to go and try new ingredients after reading your recipes. Another triumph! And exquisite photos too!

    ReplyDelete
  43. przepiękne zdjęcia! dobrze piszesz w j.polskim:-)
    i patera do muffin fantastyczna! też chcę taką!pozdrawiam

    ReplyDelete
  44. lovely recipe as always, Maria! Chia seeds are hard to find here but I'm planning a trip to the Bio Store to buy some special products and hope to find it. In case I'm sooo trying these!

    ReplyDelete
  45. I do love a fresh warm muffin in the morning. Prepping is key!! Lovely flavour combo here. I adore rhubarb!
    Heidi xo

    ReplyDelete